Password Protect / Lock INDIVIDUAL portfolio project pages

So I have a work around. 

But first I'd like to state that I also am having this issue, and am really disappointed when I learned that this doesn't work how we all intend it to. 

But my work around was to create the following text at the top of my portfolio, "To view my USAA projects, you will need a password. Please contact me so I can provide it to you. Once you have it, please come back to this page and click this link." and there will also be a link. That link will redirect them to my confidential projects. It's not an ideal solution, but one I'm going with until I see a fix. 

• 2 months later...

I'd just like to echo my support for password protecting the project pages themselves vs the portfolio.

Blocking at the Portfolio level limits the enticing of what my portfolio contains. Shifting it down a level, people get to see my work at a small level, and are hopefully more compelled to click through with the password.

I know I can modify the lock page to be a bit more graphical to highlight my work, but it's not as clean.

• 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, WhatupNoah said:

Are there any updates on this? This should be a table stakes feature; is it anywhere on the roadmap?

SS doesn't have this feature, however you can consider setting it to Private. I wrote this guide to make a portfolio item private.

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

I appreciate the above solution, thank you Tuanphan. But the problem is I still want it password protected so only certain individuals can access it using a password. Will this solution still allow access on demand? Thank you!

I also agree, this is a huge hole the SquareSpace needs to address especially since a lot of users host their portfolios.

14 hours ago, PSDesigns said:

I appreciate the above solution, thank you Tuanphan. But the problem is I still want it password protected so only certain individuals can access it using a password. Will this solution still allow access on demand? Thank you!

I also agree, this is a huge hole the SquareSpace needs to address especially since a lot of users host their portfolios.

Another way is to use redirect code. Ideas like this. 

• Suppose you have project item A (want to set password)
  • First, create a standard page X with password
  • Use JS code to redirect item A to X (it means, if users access page A >> It will redirect to X)
  • You can design content in page X

If you want this, I can write a quick guide, or give you redirect t code

Or send to forum message

7 hours ago, tuanphan said:

Another way is to use redirect code. Ideas like this. 

• Suppose you have project item A (want to set password)
  • First, create a standard page X with password
  • Use JS code to redirect item A to X (it means, if users access page A >> It will redirect to X)
  • You can design content in page X

If you want this, I can write a quick guide, or give you redirect t code

Yes! That would be very helpful. Thank you! 

Question: I have 5 project pages. Would I need to add the JS code to all 5 pages and then set up the one page X (with password) to redirect for all 5 projects?

18 hours ago, PSDesigns said:

Yes! That would be very helpful. Thank you! 

Question: I have 5 project pages. Would I need to add the JS code to all 5 pages and then set up the one page X (with password) to redirect for all 5 projects?

You will need 5 JS code to redirect, some code like this, of course you can combine them to make it shorter

image.thumb.png.76af8f90950996f3fc532c2e9310cc0f.png

and 5 pages X1, X2, X3, X4, X5

Or send to forum message

8 hours ago, tuanphan said:

You will need 5 JS code to redirect, some code like this, of course you can combine them to make it shorter

image.thumb.png.76af8f90950996f3fc532c2e9310cc0f.png

and 5 pages X1, X2, X3, X4, X5

Thank you! Can you give me the quick guide as well for using this code?

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2021 at 3:12 AM, tuanphan said:

I recently solved a similar problem for a member
To set a password for an individual projects, follow these steps

1. Add a standard page in Not Linked >> Don't add any content for this page

2. Set up a password & add this code into Page Header

<script>
window.location.href = "https://beaverhero.com";
</script>

Replace beaverhero with individual project url

3. Add this code to Settings > Advanced > Code Injection > Footer

<script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/3.5.1/jquery.min.js"></script>
<script>
$(document).ready(function() {
	// project 1
	$('a.portfolio-hover-item[href="/work/ikigai"]').attr('href','https://beaverhero.com');
	// project 2
	$('a.portfolio-hover-item[href="/work/beams"]').attr('href','https://abc.com');
});
</script>
  • Replace /work/ikigai with individual project url
  • replace beaverhero, abc.com with standard page (you created in step 1)

Explain

• SS doesn't allow to setup a password for individual projects, so the idea here is
  • Click on an individual project in Portfolio Page >> Redirect the user immediately to a standard page A >> Set a password for page A >> If the user types the correct password >> Instantly redirect to the original individual project . If the user mistypes, an error occurs and they need to re-enter the password.

I've tried this work around and can't seem to get it to work. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am also having this issue. On top of that I cannot hide a project while it is under construction.
I moved my portfolio from Adobe portfolio to Squarespace a few months ago and now I running into issues like this and I am finding it quite frustrating. If squarespace has designers as their target audience they should take their needs into account. Having password protection on project is a real need of most designers! 

Edited by joanasa_
  • 4 weeks later...