Accepting variable-cost invoice payments

Site URL: https://www.mortiseandmiter.com/

Hello to all!

When I need to make a payment for a service to a vendor or my business attorney, I can go to a website, enter the amount due, payment info, and it's done.

When I tried to create a commerce page solely for that purpose, even with a custom form allowing a customer to enter a price, the price remans zero at checkout because I have the service price at $0.00, or enter a fixed amount.

If I have a work order with $500 for one customer, and a construction progress payment of $4500 for another, I want them both to be able to enter their respective amounts and make the payment.

The donation format is perfect, but I've found no way to change the wording of the form (changing "contribution" and "donation.)

Appreciate any assistance!

• 2 months later...

I too would like to be able to setup variable payment (not a donation) through a squarespace-based website. As it is the only way I know of is to use a PayPal account (or other third-party payment processor), create a payment page on the Squarespace-based website, and include a Pay Now button on that page. PayPal does have an option to accept variable payment, it's been a while, don't remember how hard it was to find that option, but I did find that option.

In this case, my client is a food based business and they would like to be able to accept payment for catering jobs directly through their Squarespace website.

I have submitted a feature request to Squarespace Support.

You can do this by embedding any third party payment solution into a page on your Squarespace site. However, these payments will be managed through your payment provider and NOT through Squarespace. There'll be no record of the transaction in Squarespace Commerce.

Examples of third party services include

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 year later...

We use an industry-specific software to generate and send client invoices. Most invoices are paid via check but we want to give clients an electronic payment option. Before moving our website to Squarespace we used authorize.net to do this. Since our pricing is project-specific (not a per-item or per-service price) customers typed in the exact payment amount they owed to make a payment. So a client would receive an invoice for $1,000 and they would visit authorize.net via our website and type in that $1,000 amount to pay. Can we do something similar with Squarespace? It seems like the donation button works exactly in this way, but we are receiving payments, not donations. 

27 minutes ago, Engineering123 said:

We use an industry-specific software to generate and send client invoices. Most invoices are paid via check but we want to give clients an electronic payment option. Before moving our website to Squarespace we used authorize.net to do this.

Squarespace doesn't have a feature that will allow customers to pay variable amounts through the Squarespace Commerce features. However, their payment partners offer no code solutions. See Stripe and PayPal.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 8 months later...
37 minutes ago, Madz07 said:

has there been any update on this topic please?

You can now send clients invoices using Squarespace Scheduling. Clients pay directly from the invoice through the payment processor you have integrated with Scheduling.

Note that it is not designed for cash payments and is not built into Website billing plans; you'll need a Scheduling plan to use this.

Thankyou Paul. My clients that I'm designing for already have their processes in place, the only thing they wish to do is to have a 'Pay invoice' button on a page that takes you to checkout. I have just seen that Stripe now offer this as a pre-built form to link a button to - but the only issue I have now is to add a custom line to add invoice number...