Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search
skabir91

Add a transparent gradient overlay to individual sections?

Question

Site URL: https://shuvamkabir.net

I'm attempting to add a white gradient above my background images. My first thought is to add an additional element that serves as an intermediate layer. I've tried the following, which I copied from here :

[data-section-id="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"]{ 
  .section-background::after{
  content:"";
  display:block;
  position:relative;
  width:100%;
  height:100%;
  /* in hsla color format (below), the last number is between 0 and 1 and changes the opacity */
  background-color:hsla(100,20,50,.5) !important; 
  }
}

And then replace the background-color() with a linear-gradient() instruction. However, the above code doesn't seem to work. I should add that I am also using javascript to create a parallax effect, which I am hoping isn't conflicting.

Can anyone walk me through adding an additional element behind my text/image blocks and above my background to which I can add a gradient that shifts from white-to-transparent-to-white?

Alternatively, can anyone show me how to make an image block flush with with the top of a section (so I can just stick a small PNG at the top and bottom of my sections and call it good)?

4 answers to this question

[data-section-id="5edbdd7789d95f3735d2f0ed"] .section-background-overlay {
    background: linear-gradient(90deg, rgba(2,0,36,1) 0%, rgba(9,9,121,1) 35%, rgba(0,212,255,1) 100%) !important;
}

Free Squarespace 7.1 Anchor Link and Accordion Plugins available here!

If I replied to one of your questions with code, it was either CSS or jQuery.

To add CSS, go to Design -> Custom CSS

jQuery needs some additional steps. Head here: https://code.jquery.com/ and click on minified, under jQuery 3.x and copy that code into Squarespace.

After you put that code into the code injection section in Squarespace, you can add the code I supplied. The code from me will need <script> added before it and </script> added after it (only for jQuery).

There are two places that you can add the code, one is site wide (adds to all pages). Settings -> Advanced -> Code Injection

The other is for a specific page (adds to one page only). Pages -> Gear Icon next to the page -> Advanced

4 hours ago, tuanphan said:

replace 

[data-section-id="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"]

with

[data-section-id="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"] .section-background

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, that didn't seem to have any effect. There's no discernible element added.