Summary Block - only show most recent blog post

Site URL: https://www.chrislynchmedia.com/newshome

I am trying to find an automated way to highlight the most recent blog post and then have the remaining blog posts show in a separate summary block below. 

At the moment we are achieving this with the use of tags for non featured (to show below) and then the most  recent post is a 'featured post'. This works, but my client sometimes writes 3 or 4 blog posts at a time and schedules them for publishing, so that relies on him going back in manually and changing the tags / options on the posts in order for them to display in the right place. 

What I'm hoping to find is a way to:

1) only show most recent blog post on the first summary block

2) show all blog posts on second summary block but EXCLUDE the most recent 

Anyone know how I might go about achieving this?

Thanks

Ellie 

• Replies 7
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only way I can think of is to use categories.  The summary block with one post should be filtered to use the category "latest post". When a new one is published give it that cat, remove it from the one before and given the cat for the summary block you want it in. I do that now with my Featured post. There is no way to do this automatically, if you create a summary block that does not use categories, then it will simply use the first 30 posts no matter what cat they have. I have a lot of summaries on my site, two pages of them as a matter of fact and I play around with publishing dates and categories to get them where I want them and to keep them from displaying where I don't want them.  And I hide the cats so they do not display in the summary or in the post but I still have an archive sorted by cats. I know this sounds a bit convoluted but it works for me.

my random views derrick Lee parker

I'm trying to do the exact same thing, have the most recent blog post in a summary block by itself that only shows the most recent post, and then a separate block beside it thats a bit smaller and highlights the blog posts before it, but i dont want the most recent one to show up twice.

@cleanslatemarketing @bag

What I would do is have 2 summary blocks. One would display the "latest blog post" and then have another summary block that shows the 3-4 most recent posts.

Then you could use custom CSS to target the first item in the second summary block and hide it (this is assuming the first one would be the latest post). If either of you have a site link feel free to share it

Philadelphia, PA

👉 Squarespace Tutorials 

Chat/Message on FB Messenger for quickest responsehttps://m.me/dejaegherryan

You don't have to us CSS. If a summary block is filtered by cat, and not left blank then any post without that cat will not show up in the block. Example I have a summary block for photography "lessons" that is the only category assigned to those posts. My main blog post  page summary block is filtered by year, so if my Photography lessons don't have the year as one of the cats then they don't show in that block. 

• 1 month later...

I'm going to see if I can make @derricksrandomviews idea work but in the meantime, I would also love to make this work @RyanDejaegher if you have any clue how to get that empty space to go away --

The website it about to go live so it will probably be lynnepalmerinc.com/insights-executive-recruitment-blog but if not, it is https://emu-jaguar-5y4h.squarespace.com/insights-executive-recruitment-blog and the password is lp -- that is a lowercase L and lowercase P.

I have been able to hide the first (most recent) post. That is fine. BUT, when I do, there is an empty space showing up in the first row of the summary block. Here are the two codes I have used.

Can you help? For now, I have the code disabled. 

#block-yui_3_17_2_1_1594082530518_15247

.summary-item:nth-child(1) {

display: none;

}

#block-yui_3_17_2_1_1594082530518_15247
.sqs-active-slide  {
  display:none!important;
}

thank you!!!!

On 6/16/2020 at 7:43 PM, derricksrandomviews said:

You don't have to us CSS. If a summary block is filtered by cat, and not left blank then any post without that cat will not show up in the block. Example I have a summary block for photography "lessons" that is the only category assigned to those posts. My main blog post  page summary block is filtered by year, so if my Photography lessons don't have the year as one of the cats then they don't show in that block. 

Hmmm. I need all categories to show as it is a summary of all blog articles. Maybe there is a way to just change the display size of the first item instead of not displaying it.

You do know you can chain summary blocks? And then filter them, so a block filtered by the cat "latest post" will only show the one with that cat assinged to them, but further down the page other posts can show up in another block that is filtered by date or subject, whatever you come up with. I started doing this after you first posted this thread. I now have a featured post. It isn't necessarily my latest one but it could be, whatever I choose to make it. 

https://myrandomviews.com/storysummary

Archived