How can I make a "Pay what you want" price on an item in my shop?

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

• Solution

@erbush1988 A common way to achieve this is to provide links to various products at different price points, or several variants of the same product at these different prices. Customers can then add one of these to their cart. For example, the could choose the $0, $10, $20, $50 or $100 variant/product.

@ToastyT There isn't a way to allow them to pay literally "whatever they want" using Squarespace tools. The value must be predetermined. The only way to take payments for any amount is by adding some code to a Squarespace site from a third-party payment provider. Note that this will only allow you to take ad hoc payments; they will not be integrated with Squarespace Commerce in any way. 

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

Would you like your customers to be able to mark their favourite products in your Squarespace store?

• 2 months later...

I did what @paul2009 suggested, but I have trouble managing inventory.

I have 1 product (service actually), and I can sell up to 16 instances. I created 4 variants for price points at $30, $20, $10 and $0 to support my Pay What you Want initiative. But each variant has its own stock amount. Is it not possible to have variants like this- that represent different price points for the same inventory item? How do others manage inventory levels?

• 1 month later...

What a shame!

This really should be an option - at the very least on higher up Commerce plans.

Work With Me 🖥️💻📱

Please remember to tag me so that I get a notification and respond to your help requests.

If my answers have helped you, please drop a like and mark my answer as best to help other users find solutions quickly.

You can also thank me or make requests by buying me a coffee . (Caffeine fuels me to take more requests)

For Squarespace Tips & Tricks, visit @squareskills (Youtube 📺 Tutorials)

For Premium and FREE plugins, visit Squareskills (Plugin Store) 🧩

Some links may be affiliate/referral links.

1 hour ago, baby99 said:

I haven't seen a way to allow customers to pay whatever they want

That's because it isn't possible, as posted above. The value must be predetermined if you are using the Squarespace checkout. The only way around is to process payments using a non-Squarespace checkout and payment method.

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

Would you like your customers to be able to mark their favourite products in your Squarespace store?

• 4 weeks later...

Another vote for Pay what want similar to Bandcamp. 

We've seen about 50% of customers visiting Bandcamp pay up to double the minimum price and would love to have this on our Squarespace store.

Inventory tracking component is important as mentioned earlier in this thread.

• 1 month later...

10 hours ago, anika said:

I imagine you could use a code block to add the Gumroad code in the same way on a SS site. 

You could 🙂

There are a number of third-party providers you can use, but as I mentioned above, payments will be processed using a non-Squarespace checkout and payment method. This means payments won’t appear within the Squarespace Orders panel and you’ll need to use a completely separate method of fulfilling these orders. Bear in mind that there will also be additional charges, for example $10 per month or 5% per transaction in addition to the payment processing charges for Gumroad. 

• 2 years later...