Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search
  • 0

I can't get my google sheet to be responsive! What am I doing wrong?


andreallevin

Question

Hi there!

I've tried everything ...I cannot figure out how to get my embedded google sheet to be responsive. Do any of you fancy coding types have any ideas?

I would appreciate your help or even your empathy!


<iframe src="https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VouYUL9gPUHsjCvZPwHhZ1JQ8yMhIgTTI6md5Sn-5rE/pub?embedded=true" width="100%" height="2000" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" padding="0" margin= "0"></iframe></div>

http://www.ryeeducationfoundation.org (password: ref100) path grants>find your liaison

Edited by andreallevin
Initial Revision
Link to comment

18 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Put the following in the embed block:


<div id="Iframe-Liason-Sheet" class="iframe-border center-block-horiz">
 <div class="responsive-wrapper responsive-wrapper-wxh-550x2000">
   <iframe src="https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VouYUL9gPUHsjCvZPwHhZ1JQ8yMhIgTTI6md5Sn-5rE/pub?embedded=true"> 
     <p style="font-size: 110%;"><em><strong>ERROR: </strong>An iframe should be displayed here but your browser version does not support iframes.</em> Please update your browser to its most recent version and try again.</p>
   </iframe>
 </div>
</div>  

Put this in Custom CSS:


#Iframe-Liason-Sheet {
 max-width: 550px;
 max-height: 2000px;
 overflow: hidden;
}
/* inner wrapper: make responsive */
.responsive-wrapper {
 position: relative;
 height: 0;  /* gets height from padding-bottom setting */
 -webkit-overflow-scrolling: touch;
 overflow: auto;
}
.responsive-wrapper iframe {
 position: absolute;
 top: 0;
 left: 0;
 width: 100%;
 height: 100%;
 margin: 0;
 padding: 0;
 border: none;
}
/* padding-bottom = h/w as a % */
.responsive-wrapper-wxh-550x2000 {
 padding-bottom: 363.6364%;
}
.iframe-border {
 border: 1px solid #000;
}
.center-block-horiz {
 margin-left: auto !important;
 margin-right: auto !important;
}  

I have it working with this code on this /test page on my site. I'll leave the page up for awhile. I'll leave the pen Responsive-Iframe-REF up on CodePen permanently.

There is some extra height and some horizontal scroll at desktop/laptop sizes. I've been unable to modify this as the

<iframe>

won't display at any size other than 550x2000. It's persnickety that way. I've not encountered one like it.

If you want to provide additional styling, padding, margin, box-shadow, etc., put the class names in the

<div id="Iframe-Liason-Sheet">

opening tag and add corresponding class rule sets in CSS.

If you need help with further CSS or anything, let me know. In any case, let me know how it works.

-Steve

Edited by alxfyv
typo

I'm a retired attorney who was asked by a friend to build a website. In a prior lifetime, in a galaxy far, far away and long, long ago, I was a computer systems analyst / programmer. I'm a novice autodidact in CSS, JavaScript and HTML learning in part by example.. I've asked questions on this forum and been lucky enough to have others help me, so I'm inclined to answer any question I can. Pay it forward.

Link to comment
  • 0

Do not set attributes in the

<iframe>

tag, especially width and height. Do it in CSS. All that's needed in the

<iframe>

tag is the src= attribute.

You will find all the HTML and CSS needed to have a responsive

<iframe>

in the pen Responsive Iframe - REF on CodePen. See the comments (comments button on the lower left) for further explanation. The

<iframe>

is responsive in that at narrower window sizes it scrolls horizontally.

Put the HTML in an embed block. Put the CSS in Design > Custom CSS. Keep or discard the CSS general styles setting border, box-shadow, padding, etc.

If you have questions, leave a comment. In any event, please let me know whether it works and satisfies your needs.

-Steve

I'm a retired attorney who was asked by a friend to build a website. In a prior lifetime, in a galaxy far, far away and long, long ago, I was a computer systems analyst / programmer. I'm a novice autodidact in CSS, JavaScript and HTML learning in part by example.. I've asked questions on this forum and been lucky enough to have others help me, so I'm inclined to answer any question I can. Pay it forward.

Link to comment
  • 0

@alxfyv

I think it works! Not sure if I did it right because the right side of the chart is cut off in desktop view but in mobile view you can easily drag and see the whole chart which is awesome! Should I change the width somewhere? You're so nice to help me out -- i've never had one of those codepen things written for me!!

Edited by andreallevin
Initial Revision
Link to comment
  • 0

@alxfyv

I think it works! Not sure if I did it right because the right side of the chart is cut off in desktop view but in mobile view you can easily drag and see the whole chart which is awesome! Should I change the width somewhere? You're so nice to help me out -- i've never had one of those codepen things written for me!!

Link to comment
  • 0

I converted your "answer" to a comment which is where these remarks should go. I replied to that comment which is what you are reading now.

I checked it out on my iPhone and iPad Air and it seems to be fine. Your are right though that it's not behaving correctly on the desktop/laptop. Let me investigate some and I will get back to you.

In the meantime, just double check that you have the HTML correct in the embed block and the CSS correct in the Custom CSS. My suspicion is that there is something in the CSS that needs adjusting.

-Steve

I'm a retired attorney who was asked by a friend to build a website. In a prior lifetime, in a galaxy far, far away and long, long ago, I was a computer systems analyst / programmer. I'm a novice autodidact in CSS, JavaScript and HTML learning in part by example.. I've asked questions on this forum and been lucky enough to have others help me, so I'm inclined to answer any question I can. Pay it forward.

Link to comment
  • 0

Thank you for looking it to. It's really amazingly kind of you. And thank you for changing my response to to not a appear as an answer. I have so much to learn it seems -- even how to properly navigate Squarespace Answers!

The code was just pasted in directly to a code block and in the css injection spot -- i did, as you said, removed some of the general styles like the border ... but that's the only thing I did.

Edited by andreallevin
Initial Revision
Link to comment
  • 0

It's my pleasure. :-)

The pen was not a lot of work. I already had the base code which I developed when I needed an

<iframe>

for my site. All I did was fork it and change a few lines.

I've given an answer below with the code so you don't have to use the pen. Use the code below and it should be fine.

Let me know one way or the other.

-Steve

I'm a retired attorney who was asked by a friend to build a website. In a prior lifetime, in a galaxy far, far away and long, long ago, I was a computer systems analyst / programmer. I'm a novice autodidact in CSS, JavaScript and HTML learning in part by example.. I've asked questions on this forum and been lucky enough to have others help me, so I'm inclined to answer any question I can. Pay it forward.

Link to comment
  • 0

You're quite welcome. As I said, it's my pleasure. :-)

I'm a retired attorney who was asked by a friend to build a website. In a prior lifetime, in a galaxy far, far away and long, long ago, I was a computer systems analyst / programmer. I'm a novice autodidact in CSS, JavaScript and HTML learning in part by example.. I've asked questions on this forum and been lucky enough to have others help me, so I'm inclined to answer any question I can. Pay it forward.

Link to comment
  • 0

I'm trying to use this as well, but am having two problems. The first is that any iframe I use actually has a 2000px height in desktop (which... not great) and it appears -webkit-overflow-scrolling is no longer standard, which may account for the fact that content within the frame cannot be scrolled through if it exceeds the bounds of the frame.

I'm using this at lydonteaches.com/library (it's kind of hard to miss where, given the crazy height of the iframes!)

I know it has been nearly two years, but I'm hoping someone can help.

Link to comment
  • 0
On 6/29/2016 at 11:42 PM, alxfyv said:

It's my pleasure. 🙂

The pen was not a lot of work. I already had the base code which I developed when I needed an


<iframe>
 

for my site. All I did was fork it and change a few lines.

I've given an answer below with the code so you don't have to use the pen. Use the code below and it should be fine.

Let me know one way or the other.

-Steve

@alxfyv Thank you so much for sharing! Do you by chance know how I can increase the width of the code you created?

Link to comment
  • 0
On 12/11/2020 at 2:46 AM, carlylecapital said:

@alxfyv Thank you so much for sharing! Do you by chance know how I can increase the width of the code you created?

If you share link to page where you embed Google Sheet. We can help easier

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours.

How to: Setup password & share url - Insert Custom CSS - Page Header - Upload Custom Font - Upload File - Find Block ID - Contact Customer Care

Link to comment
  • 0
On 6/29/2016 at 10:00 PM, alxfyv said:

Put the following in the embed block:


 

<div id="Iframe-Liason-Sheet" class="iframe-border center-block-horiz">
 <div class="responsive-wrapper responsive-wrapper-wxh-550x2000">
   <iframe src="https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VouYUL9gPUHsjCvZPwHhZ1JQ8yMhIgTTI6md5Sn-5rE/pub?embedded=true"> 
     <p style="font-size: 110%;"><em><strong>ERROR: </strong>An iframe should be displayed here but your browser version does not support iframes.</em> Please update your browser to its most recent version and try again.</p>
   </iframe>
 </div>
</div>  
 

 

Put this in Custom CSS:


 

#Iframe-Liason-Sheet {
 max-width: 550px;
 max-height: 2000px;
 overflow: hidden;
}
/* inner wrapper: make responsive */
.responsive-wrapper {
 position: relative;
 height: 0;  /* gets height from padding-bottom setting */
 -webkit-overflow-scrolling: touch;
 overflow: auto;
}
.responsive-wrapper iframe {
 position: absolute;
 top: 0;
 left: 0;
 width: 100%;
 height: 100%;
 margin: 0;
 padding: 0;
 border: none;
}
/* padding-bottom = h/w as a % */
.responsive-wrapper-wxh-550x2000 {
 padding-bottom: 363.6364%;
}
.iframe-border {
 border: 1px solid #000;
}
.center-block-horiz {
 margin-left: auto !important;
 margin-right: auto !important;
}  
 

 

I have it working with this code on this /test page on my site. I'll leave the page up for awhile. I'll leave the pen Responsive-Iframe-REF up on CodePen permanently.

There is some extra height and some horizontal scroll at desktop/laptop sizes. I've been unable to modify this as the


<iframe>
 

won't display at any size other than 550x2000. It's persnickety that way. I've not encountered one like it.

If you want to provide additional styling, padding, margin, box-shadow, etc., put the class names in the


<div id="Iframe-Liason-Sheet">
 

opening tag and add corresponding class rule sets in CSS.

If you need help with further CSS or anything, let me know. In any case, let me know how it works.

-Steve

How would I do this an include multiple tabs of sheets?

Link to comment
  • 0
On 2/28/2018 at 10:55 PM, lydonw said:

I'm trying to use this as well, but am having two problems. The first is that any iframe I use actually has a 2000px height in desktop (which... not great) and it appears -webkit-overflow-scrolling is no longer standard, which may account for the fact that content within the frame cannot be scrolled through if it exceeds the bounds of the frame.

I'm using this at lydonteaches.com/library (it's kind of hard to miss where, given the crazy height of the iframes!)

I know it has been nearly two years, but I'm hoping someone can help.

it's 2 years later, haha, have you got it solved?

image.png.9d7170f2ad1e8d946f6821cd6ce60ad1.png

Greeting, it's BaNgan from BeyondSpace, I am Squarespace dev focus on provide solutions to enhance feature that squarespace.com can't provide.
Feel free to check my current Squarespace Plugins Developement: Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox, Delivery Date Picker, Youtube Gallery for Squarespace
If you find my answer fit your need, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you

Link to comment
  • 0
10 minutes ago, BRP said:

How would I do this an include multiple tabs of sheets?

In Spreadsheet File->Publish to the web you got option to select which sheet to be shared, repeat these several times to get the different link for different sheets

image.png.3571dcf31b91f985959946dca8f052cd.png

Greeting, it's BaNgan from BeyondSpace, I am Squarespace dev focus on provide solutions to enhance feature that squarespace.com can't provide.
Feel free to check my current Squarespace Plugins Developement: Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox, Delivery Date Picker, Youtube Gallery for Squarespace
If you find my answer fit your need, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

×
×
  • Create New...