DNS Did not Update, website down for days

Hello everyone,

I created my site on squarespace and initially I connected it to my .net domain, which was completely fine and updated within hours. I managed to find the .com of the same domain name, so I removed the previous connection to the .net and added a new DNS record connection to the .com -- it has been days and nothing happened, everytime I refresh to check status it says no records found. 

My website has been down and I don't have email, I have clients waiting for their deliveries and Squarespace support takes ages to reply, even though I am a paid client. 

When I ran a test on the zone file, I realized that squarespace hasn't created a zonefile for this domain. I emailed support, but I simply cannot wait 2 days for a reply and lag behind on my deliveries.

What am I doing wrong? Can someone helo?

More info:

1) Domain registered on Namecheap.com

2) The DNS settings I have on namecheap.com are: 

• connect1.squarespacedns.com

• connect2.squarespacedns.com

I tried to remove the connection completely, and do it again, still same problem. 

Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 1.41.36 PM.png

same issues here (except with a GoDaddy site). I don't know what is going on with Squarespace but I never used to have so much trouble.

I think you will need to disconnect and try again to connect manually (go into the Namecheap DNS settings and manually enter what Squarespace tells you to input (A records, Cname, etc).

20 hours ago, wilderbydesign said:

same issues here (except with a GoDaddy site). I don't know what is going on with Squarespace but I never used to have so much trouble.

I think you will need to disconnect and try again to connect manually (go into the Namecheap DNS settings and manually enter what Squarespace tells you to input (A records, Cname, etc).

I tried to disconnect completely, and reconnect again, but still same issue.

I also tried to connect to a different domain, also no use.

What is completely unreasonable for me is the terribly slow response time from support, as a paid client, I do expect to have access to support that does not affect my business. 

12 hours ago, Paccia said:

I am having almost this same issue except i hosted my project with free firebase hosting at first then why i try to migrate to my paid domain on Squarespace i keep getting site not found. i hope someone can help with this

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to connect but had to do it manually (GoDaddy site) -- that worked almost right away. It would be much better if Squarespace just instructed that and didn't have you try their auto-connect that doesn't work (and then instruct you to wait 3 days for it to still not work).

Hey all, with domains that support both Nameserver Connect and DNS Connect, make sure to pay attention to how your domain is linked to your site. If you choose one method but follow the steps for the other, your domain won't connect to your site.

Nameserver Connect

• How to tell: You see the option to EDIT DNS settings through Squarespace
  • How to connect: Use Squarespace nameservers and edit your domain's DNS settings through Squarespace. Make sure that the "Squarespace defaults" section is included in the DNS settings.

DNS Connect

• How to tell: You see the option to VIEW DNS settings through Squarespace
  • How to connect: Use your domain provider's nameservers. Add Squarespace's DNS records (seen on your site) to your domain's settings through your domain provider.

There's a goofy visual example I like using for this:

Imagine nameservers as a map and DNS records as the directions on that map. Now, picture you're going on a road trip with a friend.

Linking a domain to Squarespace is like telling your friend which map to bring along. If you give them the wrong map, they won't see any of the directions you wrote, and you'll likely get lost.

When you link a domain using Nameserver Connect, browsers are told to get directions (DNS records) from Squarespace's "map" (nameservers). With DNS Connect, browsers are guided to your domain provider's "map" for directions.

Make sure that you're providing the promised map (i.e. using the right nameservers based on how your domain is linked).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We use squarespace to provide our website and email addresses for our business via google workspace.

We recently had to update payment method which we did, but soon after lost function of both the website and emails.

After following trouble shooting with google, they said its an issue with square space.

They guided me to look into the MX addresses which i did to no avail.

Square space have said they can see our DNS servers are not propagating and have said they are escalating it to a technical team. It has now been 6 days (3 business days) and we have heard nothing.

This is hugely affecting our business and we still have no fix in sight.

Is there something i can do with the settings on squarespace or is this an issue only they can sort?

if i try move the whole thing to a different host/provider would this be a quick process? 

Its utterly outrageous that squarespace do not support paying businesses properly.

Any advise would be hugely appreciated

Having the same issue as the rest of you. DNS records not found and loss of Google workspace email functionality. It's causing problems between us and our clients/ vendors. 

SS tech support hasn't replied to my two email submissions and live chat says they are too busy to provide support. 

This is not the Square Space I was used to in the past. 

I activated my subscription immediately based on past experiences with SS, but now I'm wondering if that was a mistake as I could've just built the site elsewhere. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...