Requesting coding help to stylize my site

site: www.springsteel.nyc

pw: 1986

I'm completely new to website coding and just trying to make some basic visual customizations to my site. Been trying to just wing it by copy / pasting and trying to reverse-engineer CSS code from various places but not finding what I need. I also bought a plugin thing called "Super Grid Gallery 2.0" from ghostplugins.com and while it does the things I want, it comes with some features that I don't want and I can't figure out how to remove them without the whole plugin breaking.  I've talked to support but they basically just say that's how it's built and they don't offer further customizations right now.

So I'm just wondering if anyone with more experience can take a look and let me know if there's a way to edit the code to do what I need... or if this is a bigger job that really justifies paying someone or something please let me know.

The main reason I got this plugin was to be able to get the hover-over actions on the video where the video titles show up and the thumbnail turns orange. It uses Custom CSS, and header and footer code injection with I think some javascript and I have no idea how to deal with that. There were some other customizations I wanted to make to the hovering actions that weren't initially provided so I copied the whole code referenced in a linked stylesheet (I think that's what it is?) directly into the Custom CSS box and found some further modifications I could make to things like how long stuff fades in, changing colors of some extra elements, etc. Nothing that crazy...

So basically I have everything stylistically the way I want it on the site now, except that I want to keep the default Squarespace lightbox video player pop-up function instead of this custom video player animation from the Ghost plugin that makes the video player open within the window at the top of the page while leaving the menu and all the video thumbnails etc visible. I want it all to go black and pop out a full-page embedded Vimeo video player like it used to. I just need a way to remove that whole custom action without affecting anything else. I can provide more info if anything is unclear...

I do want to also keep the custom stylizations I put in the navigation links as well, that was a separate bit of Custom CSS from Ghost.

A few other small things:
- I can't figure out what code to use to get the titles over the video thumbnails to fade in like the orange color does, instead of just appearing instantly on mouse-over.
- I also notice there's like a weird greenish color that comes on at maybe like 20% opacity over the video thumbnail that's been clicked on and opened in the video player. But maybe I don't need to fix that if I'm able to remove the whole unwanted video player animation.
- I notice some random bit of the CSS code ("/* hide play icon */...") appears for a microsecond at the top left of the window when I load the webpage... is there a way to make that not happen? I have a feeling it's because I copied a lot of code into Custom CSS, but I don't even think that's in there anymore, it's from an earlier bit of code I had copy pasted in there and then deleted. Weird...

If anyone can help or point me to help it's much appreciated. And please also let me know if I did anything uncouth there by messing with this custom plugin code... I mean I just want to stylize my website the way I see it in my head, which is barely that different from a basic template, but nothing I'm able to find on these forums or anywhere else seems to work the way I need. I feel like this should be simply, but I have zero coding experience and Squarespace's customization tools seem to have some really agonizing limitations. Maybe this is more complicated than I realize and I should be paying someone? Open to advice.

Thanks

Edited by Brutalist151
  • Replies 2
  • Views 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Brutalist151 said:

site: www.springsteel.nyc

pw: 1986

I'm completely new to website coding and just trying to make some basic visual customizations to my site. Been trying to just wing it by copy / pasting and trying to reverse-engineer CSS code from various places but not finding what I need. I also bought a plugin thing called "Super Grid Gallery 2.0" from ghostplugins.com and while it does the things I want, it comes with some features that I don't want and I can't figure out how to remove them without the whole plugin breaking.  I've talked to support but they basically just say that's how it's built and they don't offer further customizations right now.

So I'm just wondering if anyone with more experience can take a look and let me know if there's a way to edit the code to do what I need... or if this is a bigger job that really justifies paying someone or something please let me know.

The main reason I got this plugin was to be able to get the hover-over actions on the video where the video titles show up and the thumbnail turns orange. It uses Custom CSS, and header and footer code injection with I think some javascript and I have no idea how to deal with that. There were some other customizations I wanted to make to the hovering actions that weren't initially provided so I copied the whole code referenced in a linked stylesheet (I think that's what it is?) directly into the Custom CSS box and found some further modifications I could make to things like how long stuff fades in, changing colors of some extra elements, etc. Nothing that crazy...

So basically I have everything stylistically the way I want it on the site now, except that I want to keep the default Squarespace lightbox video player pop-up function instead of this custom video player animation from the Ghost plugin that makes the video player open within the window at the top of the page while leaving the menu and all the video thumbnails etc visible. I want it all to go black and pop out a full-page embedded Vimeo video player like it used to. I just need a way to remove that whole custom action without affecting anything else. I can provide more info if anything is unclear...

I do want to also keep the custom stylizations I put in the navigation links as well, that was a separate bit of Custom CSS from Ghost.

A few other small things:
- I can't figure out what code to use to get the titles over the video thumbnails to fade in like the orange color does, instead of just appearing instantly on mouse-over.
- I also notice there's like a weird greenish color that comes on at maybe like 20% opacity over the video thumbnail that's been clicked on and opened in the video player. But maybe I don't need to fix that if I'm able to remove the whole unwanted video player animation.
- I notice some random bit of the CSS code ("/* hide play icon */...") appears for a microsecond at the top left of the window when I load the webpage... is there a way to make that not happen? I have a feeling it's because I copied a lot of code into Custom CSS, but I don't even think that's in there anymore, it's from an earlier bit of code I had copy pasted in there and then deleted. Weird...

If anyone can help or point me to help it's much appreciated. And please also let me know if I did anything uncouth there by messing with this custom plugin code... I mean I just want to stylize my website the way I see it in my head, which is barely that different from a basic template, but nothing I'm able to find on these forums or anywhere else seems to work the way I need. I feel like this should be simply, but I have zero coding experience and Squarespace's customization tools seem to have some really agonizing limitations. Maybe this is more complicated than I realize and I should be paying someone? Open to advice.

Thanks

For the paid custom plugin, I think you should ask the author to get more support and advice

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

10 hours ago, Beyondspace said:

For the paid custom plugin, I think you should ask the author to get more support and advice

Yeah I did and unfortunately they just said it's "hard set" and "switching to a lightbox would require re-development of the plugin" and that they'd let me know if they release a different version of it in the future... they wouldn't offer to help otherwise.