Need to build a link to download images as files, not display them as images

Go to solution Solved by NoahSnowdayDesign,

How can I build a link to download images as files, not display them as images?

This page on our site offers our artists images they can download and use. Users should receive the image as a file in their download folder, not open the image onscreen. (Many of these users are not very technology-friendly. Telling them to bring up a context menu and choose "save image as..." will defeat many of them, and it's hard to quickly summarize all the ways to open context menus under different desktop and phone OS's.)

How do I make download links for image files in Squarespace behave the same way links behave for other file types?

Edited by billfalls

Retired webmaster. Volunteer webmaster since 2014 for shipyardtrust.org, the nonprofit organization for the Hunters Point Shipyard artists in San Francisco, CA, upgraded in early 2017 from Squarespace 5 to 7.

• Solution

Hi @billfalls! Unfortunately, as far as I know this isn't possible with Squarespace out of the box due to the way SQSP hosts photos (CDN).

One solution to avoid the "right click, save image, etc." process would be to upload the images to a service like Google Drive, copy the link from Google Drive and attach it to a button or text (set to open in a new tab). This would allow your visitors to download the images by clicking a button or link on your site, then clicking a download button on the subsequent image hosting site.

Noah Olson
Web Design, Brand, Marketing
❄️ Snowday Design

I agree with @Noah_Snowday_Design. SS is set up to display their images in the browser. Not download them. And SS does allow access to their backend to change this behaviour.

On desktop drag and drop might be your friend. Might be easier to explain to folks how to do that then using a context menu. Although you may want to provide instructions for both with emphasis on the d & d.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.