Hello

I would like to share some thoughts on the translation solutions available for Squarespace sites, especially regarding Weglot's offer. While the idea of making our sites accessible in multiple languages is appealing, the current offering seems quite limited, especially given the constraints imposed by Weglot. With a threshold of 2000 words for automatic translations, this option can quickly prove insufficient for sites with rich and varied content. Moreover, the quality of automatic translation, although functional, remains below what artificial intelligence is capable of offering today.

Furthermore, the pricing proposed by Weglot seems disproportionate, especially when compared to Squarespace's subscription plans. Some of Weglot's plans, despite their high cost, are still limited to automatic translations, which raises questions about the value for money of these services.

I am aware that Squarespace allows adding multiple languages manually, but this solution is not without limitations, especially for crucial pages like payment pages. In an ideal world, Squarespace would offer an integrated solution for smooth and seamless multilingual management without resorting to expensive third-party services or installing plugins.

With the rapid evolution of the no-code site builder market, and the entry of new competitors such as Adobe, it becomes imperative for Squarespace to innovate and offer robust and accessible solutions for multilingual management.

Is Squarespace planning to offer this functionality in the near future? Such a development would be greatly appreciated by many users, including myself, eager to make their content accessible to a global audience without facing technical or financial constraints.

Thank you for your attention, and I look forward to your feedback and perhaps some encouraging news on this topic.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there,

Thank you for your detailed feedback regarding Weglot! I just wanted to address a few points:

While the 2000-word limit is in place for free users, we offer premium plans for users with higher word count needs. You can check out our pricing page to learn more and talk with our sales team for a custom enterprise plan.

Also, keep in mind that you have full control over what gets translated on your website. So, you can exclude certain pages or blocks on your website from translation to stay within a word limit.

Regarding the translation quality, Weglot uses the best neural machine translation engines available in the market (DeepL, Google Translate, etc.) for the best-performing match based on your language pair. You can then use Weglot's editing features to improve the translation quality and set up translation rules to automate the process.

This workflow offers users the optimal use of their budget and time while achieving their desired translation results. You can check out our case studies to see real-life examples of how other users achieve significant results while spending less time and money compared to manual ways of translating websites.

Hope this helped clarify a few points. Don't hesitate to contact us for custom help and add your product suggestions to our roadmap. 

Have a great day.

Hello Eugene,

Thank you for your feedback. I am fully aware that text translation requires significant effort and that quality translation necessitates the involvement of someone who is fluent in the language.

You mentioned the free offer in partnership with Squarespace that allows excluding certain pages to limit the word count. I have taken note of this option.

However, I would like to express my frustration regarding the Squarespace/Weglot combo. With the offer provided by this partnership, I am unable to get link translations without subscribing to the $87 plan, which is necessary for this feature. Yet, for quality work and to meet the requirements of good SEO, this feature is almost indispensable, especially for a website intended for a multilingual audience.

For a large company, $87 might not represent a significant cost, but for a small site run by an artisan, it can be prohibitive.

To illustrate my point, let me share a specific issue I reported to your teams. Despite my paid subscription, there's a bug with Squarespace on the "orders" page. When a customer purchases a product, goes through payment, and completes their order, the summary of the order remains in the base language of the site. Thus, a customer choosing German ends up with an order summary in English if the site is in that language. Moreover, there are also issues with payment settings: it is possible to define the shop policy and return policy, but the inserted content is not translated.

This shopping experience can hardly be considered reassuring.

I also read on the forum that a user suggested Squarespace should focus less on marketing and more on development. I find this comment to be valid because adding multilingual functionalities should not be a significant challenge in terms of development.

One of the most frustrating aspects is the need to subscribe separately for each feature. My main frustration with Weglot lies in the high cost of its subscriptions.

Nonetheless, I want to thank you for your response, Eugene.

SuperSuper