Create a Squarespace Site, then transfer domain and redirect pages

Go to solution Solved by Ziggy,

I currently have a website through Shopify (let's pretend it's called www.getoutside.com). I am closing down the Shopify site in a few months, but am creating a blog on Squarespace that I would eventually like to transfer the domain to. I want to get the blog up and running before I close down the Shopify site, so I was thinking of using a temporary url (let's call it www.getoutsideblog.com)..

Here's my question: when I shut down the Shopify website, can I keep everything I've worked on with www.outdoorsyladiesblog.com and change it to www.outdoorsyladies.com and create 301 redirect pages so that I can use my original domain, but keep all the work I've been doing on the blog?

I realize this might be confusing, so happy to clarify! Thanks in advance for your help!

• Solution

If you have both domains connected to your website the secondary domain will point to the primary domain for all pages without you doing anything. So if you create a blog that is initially on this domain with this slug:

www.outdoorsyladiesblog.com/blog/blog-article

and you connect and change the primary domain to www.outdoorsyladies.com it will work for this and the old one will forward (as long as the old domain is still working and connected)

www.outdoorsyladies.com/blog/blog-article

Please like and upvote if my comments were helpful to you. Cheers!

Zygmunt Spray
Squarespace Website Designer
Contact me: 
https://squarefortytwo.com 

Did I help? Buy me a coffee?

🔌 Ghost Squarespace Plugins (Referral link)
📈 SEO Space (Referral link)
 SquareWebsites Plugins (Referral link)
 🔲 SQSP Themes (Referral link) 
Spark Plugin (Referral link)