Excluded by ‘noindex’ tag -

Hi, not much clear instruction around this at all so hoping someone can help!

A page on our website isn't appearing on Google. When I run it though Google Search Console it says the page couldn't be indexed because of a noindex meta tag that SquareSpace (seemingly randomly) place on some webpages, according to my research.

Has anyone had the same issue and found a solution? Or can anyone advise me what the best course of action is to remove this? There's no code reflecting this in the custom CSS or code injection for the page. 

Many thanks in advance,

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Folks it hard to begin to help when you don't provide a URL to your site and the URLs for particular pages you are having issues with.

Please post the URL for a page on your site where we can see your issue.

A link to the backend of the your site won’t work for us, i.e. a url that contains /config/.

Please set up a site-wide password, if your site is not public and you've not already done so.

Post the password here.

Adding a site-wide password does not allow anyone to alter your site. It only allows those with the password to see your site.

Please read the site-wide password and how to share a link documentation to understand how they work.

We can then take a look at your issue.

You may find How to post a forum question post useful.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 1 month later...

@creedon Hello, I'm having the same issue. Google console says my website "Excluded by ‘noindex’ tag" and is not indexing any of the pages on my website. Me website is cesareandoula.com. Noindex list is as follows:

https://www.cesareandoula.com/

http://cesareandoula.com/

http://www.cesareandoula.com/

In addition, it says its excluding https://cesareandoula.com/ because its a page with a redirect, but it is not. I have zero redirect set up on this domain. 

 
3 hours ago, AllisonW said:

it says its excluding https://cesareandoula.com/ because its a page with a redirect, but it is not.

There is an implied redirect when you have something like the following domain settings.

ScreenShot2024-01-29at1_55_34PM.thumb.png.cd5d25b9e272ee7857419d25b43e99f8.png

We can see it here...

ScreenShot2024-01-29at1_49_52PM.thumb.png.bc058b43b279ac4b7bf9cdd4141461cd.png

3 hours ago, AllisonW said:

"Excluded by ‘noindex’ tag" and is not indexing any of the pages on my website.

I can see nothing on the site that would be causing this. I don't have a solution.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

@creedonThank you for your help. What settings would you recommend I change in the Domain Settings in order to get rid of the implied redirect? All of these settings seem standard to me...

Everything on this site is totally standard. I've not done anything unique that should creating indexing problems. My sense from reading what others have written is this is some type of glitch in the squarespace system.... where I can get this issue addressed? Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, AllisonW said:

What settings would you recommend I change in the Domain Settings in order to get rid of the implied redirect?

For most people I would recommend the settings I showed. You want the base domain to redirect to www.

So if you stick with those settings then there is no way to get rid of the implicit redirect.

Also the Google note about the base domain not being indexed is more of a note or warning, not an action item. Don't fall prey to alarmist reports that prey on FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt).

Technically with the settings as they are your site is at www.cesareandoula.com so cesareandoula.com is irrelevant.

3 minutes ago, AllisonW said:

hard to not FUD about why none of my pages are being indexed by Google?

The FUD comment was more about the particular sub-issue I was referring to, not the overall issue. Although I don't recommend FUD at any time! 🙂

As I mentioned previously I see no reason your pages aren't indexable.

Have you tried getting your pages indexed by Bing? What does it say?

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, DaveJonesDesign said:

Any help on this would be much appreciated!

The reason it is not getting indexed is because the page is telling the search crawlers to not index the page.

ScreenShot2024-03-06at1_18_21PM.png.e88703cac5a5c282270950f588719c1f.png

I would check Blog Settings > Advanced > Page Header Code Injection for the blog page to see if the meta tag has been added there. Please see per-page code injection.

If you find <meta name="ROBOTS" content="NOINDEX"> remove it.

Let us know how it goes.

• 1 month later...

Hello Creedon, Thanks for the advise.

If I find the line <meta name="ROBOTS" content="NOINDEX">  can I just delete the line without causing any  problem? What about to change the "noindex" to "index".  It is over my paygrade. 

Professional photographer

36 minutes ago, laszlofoto said:

If I find the line <meta name="ROBOTS" content="NOINDEX">  can I just delete the line without causing any  problem?

If you find the line and want the page to be indexed then simply remove the line. No need to change it.

Keep in mind that removing the line doesn't immediately mean that your page will be indexed and searchable. That part is out of our hands and is up to the search engines.

Also note that line wouldn't be in the page unless somebody added it there.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem as mentioned above. But only on the home page of www.studiokrisskrass.com/ And for some reason the home page doesn't support the button to in or exclude from search results. Why is there not switch button for the home page as shown in the screenshot.image.thumb.png.4872aa95c50b839b3f70833e7033358a.png

• 2 months later...
On 7/22/2024 at 5:31 PM, BecsEp said:

I am having the same issue as many people here https://www.technologyforartists.com/

I have not edited any of the code on the website but google says my homepage is "Excluded by ‘noindex’ tag" How do I go about fixing this?

Hi @BecsEp your homepage IS in Google's index as seen in the screenshot below. What error are you seeing on Google Search Console? and for which URL?

image.png.52c9190c91593ecee2243355c1c0cc84.png

-------- > 👆 <---------- Please quote or @ me when replying, or I won't get a notification 

Melody | Squarespace Nerd
e: melody@melodylee.tech

💻 💁‍♀️ 1-2-1 Squarespace Training session <- feeling stuck and want to learn?
👩‍💻 💁‍♀️ Website help <- send me your to-do list. From code to plugin to domain setup.
🧰 See the tools I use (contain affiliate links)
 Did I help? I like coffee (Thank you)

Hi i need help with this problem "Excluded by noindex tag"

When I try to connect my webpage created in google workspace with my domain " eigelaboratorios.com ", I have an issue with the message excluded by ‘noindex’ tag.

So i tried to fix it in squarespace, because there is where my domain belongs, and i cant find where i can fix it.

Please i need help because i want that my page appears on the google search.

I would appreciate ur help. THX!

image.png.8fec5cd19ec4aaa1da5386c42baac0ec.png