Email forwarding like Google Domains does?

17 minutes ago, klauzja said:

Hi Paul,

I just transferred my domain from Dotster.com which was bought by Web.com who have terminated support for the email alias feature.

I had some email aliases setup on the original Dotster.com site, which where somehow "hard-coded" as part of the merger with Web.com.

I know this because these email aliases continued to work, despite not being visible/available on the new registrar.

This is also currently the case, after I transferred my domain to Squarespace.

I know Squarespace supports email aliases, but when I try to use this option it gives me the following error:

"You cannot add or edit email forwarding rules at this time

You can’t add email forwarding rules to a domain with MX records or an active Google Workspace subscription. To add email forwarding rules, first delete any MX records you created or the Google Workspace subscription for this domain."

As I've mentioned, I have not created any MX records, nor am I using a Google Workspace subscription.

If there are some kind of MX records these must have been created during the original migration process because my email aliases are still working...

I don't want to lose the functionality of the email aliases I have previously setup...

Go into your list of Domains, open the Domain you're trying to forward, and on the left-hand side menu under "DNS" click "DNS Settings"

Make sure there are no MX records or custom DNS records in there. If there are, delete any records and then you should be able to click the "Add Preset" button at the top right, and select "Squarespace Defaults."

Just keep in mind if you have any other custom DNS records in there that are needed for your domain, to not delete those, or at least screenshot them and save them just in case you need to revert back if something ends up breaking.

Thank you Zyler,

I just deleted the @ MX record for my domain and this let me now recreate the email aliases.

I also see a few other Custom Records there, including (email, imap, mail, smtp, webmail).

I only use this domain for my personalized emails for my family, no website or anything.

Do this mean i can delete all these other (legacy) record as well?

image.png.c807caae892d8271d72534aacf1f2678.png

47 minutes ago, klauzja said:

Thank you Zyler,

I just deleted the @ MX record for my domain and this let me now recreate the email aliases.

I also see a few other Custom Records there, including (email, imap, mail, smtp, webmail).

I only use this domain for my personalized emails for my family, no website or anything.

Do this mean i can delete all these other (legacy) record as well?

image.png.c807caae892d8271d72534aacf1f2678.png

That's correct. If you're only using this for email forwarding and nothing else, then you shouldn't need any of those additional DNS Records.

Glad to hear you were able to get it working!