Email forwarding like Google Domains does?

With Google Domains, I am able to forward all emails that match *@mydomain.com (where I have mydomain.com registered with Google Domains in this example) to my GMail account without having a Google workspace account for my domain (I do not want or need one). Now that Google is in talks to sell all their domain accounts to Squarespace, I want to know if I will still be able to do this when my domain is managed bySquarespace. It appears that this is NOT a feature that is currently offered by Squarespace (at least not in a way that is straightforward to configure).

- An upset Google Domains user

I agree! One of my biggest concerns is losing these features and the clean design. There'll likely be a price change too.

Please like and upvote if my comments were helpful to you. Cheers!

Zygmunt Spray
Squarespace Website Designer
Contact me: 
https://squarefortytwo.com 

Did I help? Buy me a coffee?

🔌 Ghost Squarespace Plugins (Referral link)
📈 SEO Space (Referral link)
 SquareWebsites Plugins (Referral link)
 🔲 SQSP Themes (Referral link) 
Spark Plugin (Referral link) 

• 2 weeks later...

Following this conversation ... I have the same question. I was about to transfer my domain to Squarespace because my current hosting company has started charging for email transfer, after 20 years of doing business with them. Their limit for "free" use is so tight that I'm looking elsewhere and thought Squarespace offers simple email forwarding, but it's looking like it doesn't. So ... looking forward to an answer to this question.

I'm literally using the custom domain email address I created on Google Domains as my login email here... and I've started to worry the forwarding isn't working anymore for example if anyone sends me an email to my custom domain, would it actually go through? I am experimenting by letting Squarespace send me promotional emails and see if I get them.

In the meantime, I'd be happy to learn of a solution to this.

I just transferred my domain from NameCheap to Squarespace. I had two email accounts with my domain name (@companyname.com) with NameCheap, which were forwarded to my Gmail account. When I transferred the domain to Squarespace, the emails no longer come through. I have Google Workspace via Squarespace. But I can't figure out how to get my business emails (e.g., info@companyname.com) forwarded to my Gmail, as before. Can anyone help?

Hi sjka2,

I had the same issue and may have found the solution. Just open your Square Space account and go to your domains and select the domain you want the emails to be forwarded from. Then select manage domain settings. For me it appears in an overlay window on the right hand side of the screen. In this menu you will find the email forwarding tab. At this point the setup should be similar to Google domains.

Edited by An21Ty
spelling mistake
On 10/12/2023 at 7:25 PM, Micky2629 said:

Squarespace cant add email *@mydomain.com i want catch all email domain like google domains, I want the function as google domain, is that anyway to do it?

Just a heads up, WordPress doesn't offer this feature either for anyone who is considering switching there. I currently have some sites on WP, some on SWSP, and some on Cloudflare. I haven't been able to find a solution that isn't configuring DNS records.

Google Domains really did a disservice by getting rid of this product.

So this is an issue I'm currently dealing with as well.

I have a lot of different emails and domains all with various alias emails pointing to one main Google Workspace account, which has worked beautifully for all my Google hosted domains.

However, I am in the process now of building my first site where I have a domain on Squarespace rather than Google to begin figuring out how I can continue setting sites up the way I have in the past (which tbh, I'm really bummed that it's leaving Google - it's been such an incredible and easy setup for me for many years..).

I have added several forwarding email addresses to my Squarespace account, went through the verification, but they are not working. I keep getting bounce backs saying the email accounts don't exist.

One minor difference may be the fact that I'm using custom nameservers rather than the Squarespace nameservers, but this is something I've always done even with Google and always worked great over there. I know my MX records needed to be updated on my site host where my nameservers are pointing, but even after doing that I'm still getting bounce backs/failed delivery.

Curious if anyone else has a similar setup, and whether or not you've gotten it to work?

This is really going to screw up how I run my 20+ sites, so may end up having to find an alternate option if I can't use forwarding emails with Squarespace while having custom nameservers.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone resolved this? google domains you could just put an *@domain in the forwarding section and it would forward any emails sent to our domain to our main email, does Squarespace not have this option? We need to enter every email manually?

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2023 at 1:15 AM, AnthroX said:

Any update on the catch all for email forwarding?  I want to move my domains here from Godaddy since google domains is no longer accepting new transfers.  

I'm trying *.* and hoping that works, but somehow I doubt it...

HEPL

So unfortunately, as far as I can tell, at this time there isn't a 'catch all' option for email forwarding through Squarespace, which is very unfortunate since that was one of my favorite features using Google Domains.

However, with that being said, depending on who your web hosting provider is, there may be an alternative option. I'm currently using SiteGround for my web hosting, and using their built-in email system allows for a *@yourdomain.com catch-all email address. If I remember correctly, GoDaddy also allows this with their built-in email system, but it's been a while since I've used GoDaddy so I'm not 100% sure on that.

If you prefer to watch the YouTube video, you can watch it by clicking here.

One important thing to note: This method involves changing your domain's nameservers. So if you are hosting your website with Squarespace as well, then this method may not work for you. This only works if your domain name is with Squarespace, but your web server files/web hosting is with someone else (like SiteGround, GoDaddy, HostGator, etc.).

This is how I had to set mine up to get it working again:

(Before you begin, you'll need to add your domain to your web host, and get your Nameservers from your web host. Finding these will be slightly different depending on who your host is, so I suggest just going to Google and searching 'How to find nameservers on [your web host]')

1. Log into Squarespace Domains
2. Open Domain Settings of Domain You Want to Add Email to
3. On the right-hand side (if on desktop/laptop), under 'Advanced Settings' click 'Edit' for Nameserver Settings
4. Select 'Use Custom Nameservers'
5. Add your two nameservers from your web host (I used mine from SiteGround) and save

Just so you understand what's happening now (for those on the less tech-savvy side), essentially what you just did was tell 'the internet' anytime it needs to find settings for your domain, it will now look for those settings at your web host, rather than your domain host (in this case/my case, web host = SiteGround, while domain host = Squarespace Domains).

Now that all settings will be pulled from your web host instead of your domain host, it's time to switch over to your web host (again, in my case, SiteGround).

From your web host:

1. Go to your website/web host settings for your domain
2. Find your DNS settings (for SiteGround, they're located under 'Domain')
3. Verify your MX Records are set as your web host's built-in email system

Again, this will vary based on your specific web host. For example, with SiteGround, you can simply select the 'MX Records' tab, and it gives 3 different options: Use System Default MX Records, Use Google MX Records, or Set Custom MX Records. This is where I selected 'Use System Default' (I used to use Google when using Google Domains, but that no longer works since switching to Squarespace).

Other web hosts may not give you options and you may have to manually enter them yourself, again I suggest googling to see what the default ones are based on your web host.

Once you've either set or verified that your MX Records are using the web host built-in email system, the last step is to go into the built-in email system and re-add whatever forwarding emails you want.

With SiteGround, this was as simple as:

1. Go to 'Email' link on left-side menu
2. Select 'Forwarders' option
3. Add any forwarding emails you wish to be included, and change your catch-all address settings.

SiteGround by default has a catch-all option and is automatically set to 'Deny' - but a simple two clicks will switch it from 'Deny' to 'Allow' - and will be used after any other manual entries you make.

So I have mine set to have a few specific addresses, such as my first name, support@, noreply@, etc. Which each go to specific gmail accounts. Then I have my catch-all set to 'Allow' so anything that doesn't fall on those specific emails gets forwarded to my main one.

As a side note, email forwarding in Squarespace to gmail accounts does not seem to work. I did not come over from google domains but created my site on squarespace and used the email forwarding feature to set up email to 3 different gmail accounts. They did not work. I've tried support but have hit 3+ weeks of "someone will get back to you."  Yesterday I added an old yahoo email address and it works flawlessly. So it appears email forwarding to gmail accounts doesn't work.

If anyone has it working - domain on Squarespace, not google, please speak up.  and how did you get it to work??

Please, I have bunch of subdomains using the wildcard catchall feature in google domains (*@domain.tld) for many registrations across many sites and IOT devices. This would render some of those accounts / devices useless if this feature is not ported across. Google has yet again promised feature parity in this migration when killing a service that many rely on, but will only guarantee parity for about 80% of the userbase. (Same as Google Music and YouTube Music or Google Inbox and Gmail) 

If you do not intend to support wildcard domains by the time this deal closes then we expect a clear strategy on when our wildcards will stop working and a list of all the subdomains associated with this wildcard forward feature to be provided if possible.

Please Squarespace I asked nicely here be beter than Google. We did not choose to be in this mess, don't make us regret trusting you or next time we might look for other options when buying / renewing our domains. 

Kind regards,
A really concerned citizen

Edited by WillemM

Squarespace does not currently offer a straightforward email forwarding feature similar to Google Domains. You may need to explore alternative solutions or contact Squarespace support for specific information regarding email forwarding options after the transition. 

Edited by aantourism662
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey,

If Squarespace doesn't cut it for email forwarding like Google Domains, check out ProxiedMail. It's pretty slick for setting up wildcard email forwards like *@mydomain.com to your Gmail. Basically, it forwards all your emails without needing to set up each one. Pretty straightforward and could save you the hassle. Check article about forwarding https://proxiedmail.com/en/migrate-emails-from-domain-to-another.

Might be just what you need!

• 2 months later...

I successfully forwarded my custom squarespace domain email to my Yahoo email account. I tried to add my custom domain email address to Yahoo so I can send emails from that alias as well. However, the custom domain email can't be verified. Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this?

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/7/2023 at 8:28 PM, paul2009 said:

Squarespace recently added email forwarding to Squarespace Domains. It is available for domains that don't already have a custom email address but is limited to 100 aliases per domain. there isn't a 'catch all' option like *@mydomain.com.

To create an email forward with specific aliases:

1. Open the Domains panel (in Settings > Domains).
  2. Click the domain you're setting up an email forward for.
  3. Scroll down to the Email Forwarding section.
  4. Click Add, then click Add rule.
  5. Enter an alias in the Forward from field. The alias is what will display before @yoursitename.com.
  6. In the Forward To field, enter the email address where you'd like to receive the forwarded emails.
  7. Click Save.
  8. After you save changes, we'll send a verification email to the email address you entered in the Forward To field. Click the link in the email to verify. Your email forwarding begins 24-48 hours after you verify your address. While verification is pending, a yellow Verification pending status will appear next to your domain in the Email Forwarding panel. 

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Hi Paul,

I just transferred my domain from Dotster.com which was bought by Web.com who have terminated support for the email alias feature.

I had some email aliases setup on the original Dotster.com site, which where somehow "hard-coded" as part of the merger with Web.com.

I know this because these email aliases continued to work, despite not being visible/available on the new registrar.

This is also currently the case, after I transferred my domain to Squarespace.

I know Squarespace supports email aliases, but when I try to use this option it gives me the following error:

"You cannot add or edit email forwarding rules at this time

You can’t add email forwarding rules to a domain with MX records or an active Google Workspace subscription. To add email forwarding rules, first delete any MX records you created or the Google Workspace subscription for this domain."

As I've mentioned, I have not created any MX records, nor am I using a Google Workspace subscription.

If there are some kind of MX records these must have been created during the original migration process because my email aliases are still working...

I don't want to lose the functionality of the email aliases I have previously setup...