CSS: Struggling to Align Image and Code Blocks Seamlessly

Go to solution Solved by DPruitt,

👋 Hey Squarespace Community,

I'm working on a rather unique design project for my site, and I've hit a bit of a roadblock. I'd love some input on how to tackle this issue effectively.

The Goal

My goal is to place multiple image blocks and code blocks on my page so that they perfectly align with each other, giving the illusion of a single, continuous image as you scroll down the screen. The challenge is that I want each block to be exactly the size I designed it to be in Photoshop—no auto-fitting or stretching.

The Issue

Squarespace's default settings seem to add padding or margins that prevent the blocks from fitting perfectly flush against each other. I've been tweaking with custom CSS to solve this, but I haven't had any success yet.

The page's Item ID is `#item-64dd2003f0a4be3998c1f3d1`, and I've got specific Collection IDs for each block (`#block-yui_3_17_2_1_1692977885179_20119`, `#block-yui_3_17_2_1_1692977885179_20392`, `#block-yui_3_17_2_1_1692977885179_21674`, etc.). All images are designed to be 1920 pixels in width.

Example for Reference

For a practical example, you can check out my old website, which achieved this effect perfectly: https://www.mindofalexander.com/jlovetv  (password = moa).

My Code So Far

I've been experimenting with custom CSS like this but unfortunately this didn't fix the problem:

/* Remove margins and padding */
#block-yui_3_17_2_1_1692977885179_20119,
#block-yui_3_17_2_1_1692977885179_20392,
#block-yui_3_17_2_1_1692977885179_21674 {
  margin: 0 !important;
  padding: 0 !important;
  width: 1920px;
}

Troubleshooting Done

I've tried various CSS hacks and inspected elements using developer tools, but I'm not able to get the exact design I'm aiming for. The blocks either end up overlapping, or they don't sit flush against each other.

Request for Help

Would anyone be able to take a look and offer some guidance? I've got more blocks to add, but I want to solve this issue first before proceeding. 

My current website URL: https://mindofalexander.squarespace.com

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! 🙏

Overlap.png

Gap.png

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The site is pretty messed up right now as I check on it, the images are floating right outside the viewing port:
https://mindofalexander.squarespace.com/my-work/jlove-tv

You might try using a NON FLUID section to solve this gapping issue as Fluid will do that sometimes with code blocks and other Squarespace Blocks.

Let me know if you get the site back to normal settings and I'll give it a quick go...

5 minutes ago, DPruitt said:

The site is pretty messed up right now as I check on it, the images are floating right outside the viewing port:
https://mindofalexander.squarespace.com/my-work/jlove-tv

You might try using a NON FLUID section to solve this gapping issue as Fluid will do that sometimes with code blocks and other Squarespace Blocks.

Let me know if you get the site back to normal settings and I'll give it a quick go...

Should be fixed! 🙂

Just now, DPruitt said:

Yep, try putting all this inside of a "classic editor" section instead... You'll have to code the block paddings of course, but it won't/shouldn't do the crazy flex gapping; if it does, we should be able to code are way through it...

I didn't know 'classic editor' was even such a thing. How do I access that?

3 minutes ago, DPruitt said:

All the blocks are paddings of 0?

If you're referring to the page:

#mainContent {
    padding: 4em;
    width: 1250px;
    background-color: #fff;
}

If I mimic that to my new site the image block gets sent left.

#item-64dd2003f0a4be3998c1f3d1 {
}

I'm just trying to replicate the same size images as the other site. Any fixes you can recommend or share?

Just now, DPruitt said:

Since you're using SS 7.1, don't use css to adjust your width, go into your sites settings to adjust your sites max width to 1250px and set site margin to 4vw.

I'm not trying to make my entire site set at a max width of 1250px since I want the content to adjust with screen sizes such as 4K resolution.

I'm fairly new to code as a whole so any solution that allows me to post my work flush against each other while having the ability to look good on any screen size is what I'm seeking.

• Solution

Oh okay, that's not how the old site is operating...  See how it's constrained?  It has a max width of only 1250px regardless of the screensize, it will never go beyond 1250px.

Here, just add the margin "auto" to fix the alignment...

margin: auto;
}

2 minutes ago, DPruitt said:

Oh okay, that's not how the old site is operating...  See how it's constrained?  It has a max width of only 1250px regardless of the screensize, it will never go beyond 1250px.

}

This was the fix I was looking for! Thank you my friend! Definitely learning.

Edited by mindofalexander
14 minutes ago, DPruitt said:

}

Please refer to DM 

Thanks!