Why is it still not possible to download my media assets from the asset library in bulk, and how can I download video asset files?

There are a couple of issues here. What's frustrating is that though these issues seem to have been discussed by platform users for some time, Squarespace has not made any changes reflexive to the needs of its user base. Both of my primary issues of concern relate to the managing and downloading of assets within my website's asset library. And, my third issue relates to the lack of portability of uploaded assets from one site to another as a workaround to theme changes not allowed within version 7.1.

Screenshot2023-07-18at6_01_04PM.thumb.png.e5991b80a2094c9f0bdbc6517cc3c5dd.png

Issue/Pain Point #1: I would like to export/download my entire asset library for a given site to my computer, but currently there is no way to do this, except individually right-clicking on images, after they've been opened.

• It would seem to me to make downloading an image one of the drop-down menu options, as this would be the easiest to implement without completely reconfiguring how how this is done on the Squarespace back end.
  • I would like the ability to export all of my uploaded assets and content in a singular Zip file.
  • The result of this is that I have to select "File Details" where I am brought to the image on the next page, where I then have to Command/Control-click or right-click the image, then download it. This is a bit cumbersome, but it's still possible to do except when it comes to video...

Screenshot2023-07-18at6_11_16PM.thumb.png.e32ccfbcfbf27d378b19322f031d04a9.png

Issue/Pain Point #2: There is, at present, no way to download video files that I have uploaded to Squarespace.

• This is super frustrating, and a browsing of search results, or asking of ChatGPT, or browsing this forum have yielded any viable workarounds.
  • This is further compounded by the fact that there is no permalink URL to the video file that could put into my browser as a workaround.

Issue/Pain Point #3: I am redesigning my company's existing Squarespace website, but because it runs on version 7.1, there is no way for me to change the theme. I would like to duplicate the asset library from the existing site, to the new site running a new template.

• Again, I get that there are quirks to using Squarespace, and, generally, it's not necessarily designed with "power" users in mind, but currently I am aware of no way to change the template of an existing website.
  • I have tried duplicating the site, so as to keep the asset library, but still no theme change.
  • If I make a new site with a new theme, it does not allow for any content uploads.

One more thing...

Issue/Pain Point #4: Why can I not upload a Zip file, containing the folders, to the asset library, so that I could bulk upload assets, after I manually download everything?

. . .

I understand that Squarespace may have many good and valid reasons to protect their proprietary system, but the lack of these seemingly basic features which would enable users the ability to control their creative assets, is more than a little frustrating. I have had a few drives go kaput on me, and it would be really nice to know that if some of the content/assets that I originated and uploaded to Squarespace could be backed up and recovered by me personally, on demand, and in a way that isn't laborious and frustrating.

I look forward to this community's thoughts and ideas, and I hope that Squarespace is watching and thinking about updates to the feature set for the next update to the platform.

J

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm dealing with the same pain point. Once all of my customer's images have been selected and uploaded and arranged on the site, I want them to be able to download all of them in bulk so they can be consistent with their imagery use outside of their website to strengthen their brand. Bummer that you can't just select all and download them all. Especially because the web design process is often where the majority of the branded images go through a culling process. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

BUMP BUMP BUMP. 

This feature seems like low hanging fruit for SS to implement. 

I'd even settle for an easy way to download each file one at a time, but even that is a UI disaster. It's actually easier for me to do this from the website as published than it is from the assets folder. How does that make any sense? 

Squarespace has done such a good job with making most of their interfaces easy to use, if a bit complex, but certain things like being able to download your own files is practically impossible. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2024 at 2:31 PM, jfancherla said:

Second all this. Where is Squarespace on this?  This is not a hard problem. Looks like we are up against some type of policy to make it hard to vacate and move your site. I just want a backup of my data.

The way you have to download images, mind you your own assets that you uploaded, is a complete joke. I have +800 images and I have to download a dozen which were uploaded somewhere in the middle. Now I can only download one at a time and every time I download another I have to start from the top, wait for images to populate before I can download just one more image. Why isn't there multi select, why isn't there a list, and why does the assets gallery so constrained. All this shit is in a database that should be accessible. The fact that this is still the same after so many complaints makes me think this is about Enshitification and not for any other reason. What a joke. I would never recommend anyone to use squarespace, and now I fully regret putting so much work into my current site. 

BUMP

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You have GOT to be kidding me.

I reached out to "tech support," they told me it's just IMPOSSIBLE to get my assets out, and maybe I could use a THIRD PARTY HACK to do it. Except... in order to use that third party hack, I have to PAY to upgrade.

This is abhorrent. I want my money back.