Product navigation

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hi. I'm wondering if anyone can help me with navigating from product to product. I am an atist and am setting up my online store with my paintings. When I have had a gallery only, the viewer can click to the following painting without having to return to the navigation page by simply clicking an arrow at the bottom of the page. I'd like to make my storefront operate the same way, so that when the viewer clicks on a painting, they can click to the next painting without navigating back to tthe main store. Can this be done?

Also, I just realized that when the viewer clicks on a painting and then wants to go back and look at the next one, the only option is to send them back to the main page where all paintings are available rather than the specific group of paintings they were viewing. Is there a help video or tutorial on this? Or can this be changed?

Thanks,

Ashley

12 hours ago, AAStudio said:

Hi. I'm wondering if anyone can help me with navigating from product to product. I am an atist and am setting up my online store with my paintings. When I have had a gallery only, the viewer can click to the following painting without having to return to the navigation page by simply clicking an arrow at the bottom of the page. I'd like to make my storefront operate the same way, so that when the viewer clicks on a painting, they can click to the next painting without navigating back to tthe main store. Can this be done?

Also, I just realized that when the viewer clicks on a painting and then wants to go back and look at the next one, the only option is to send them back to the main page where all paintings are available rather than the specific group of paintings they were viewing. Is there a help video or tutorial on this? Or can this be changed?

Thanks,

Ashley

Could you share your website URL to help us understand your need

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

You can see on the original website, the gallery pages for original oil paintings and original encaustic paintings allows the viewer to click to see the next painting using a link with the title of the next painting on the bottom right-hand corner of page.

• Solution
On 5/19/2023 at 2:17 PM, AAStudio said:

I'd like to make my storefront operate the same way [as a gallery], so that when the viewer clicks on a painting, they can click to the next painting without navigating back to the main store.

On Squarespace 7.1, when a Store page is initially viewed, the "products" (artwork in your case) are shown on Product List Page (PLP) with up to 200 products shown on a single page, with their titles and prices. 

Clicking on one of these products will take a user to a Product Detail Page (PDP) where they can view more details about the "product". It isn't possible to navigate to the next product from the PDP.

However, if you enable Quick View on the Store page, a user can click Quick View on one of the products in the PLP to launch a mini version of the PDP within a 'lightbox' window. From here, they can navigate directly between products within the window.

Alternatively, you can manually curate your own pages to showcase your artwork and then provide links that guide users back to individual PDPs.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

In the same category - sorry.

Also, is there a way to set it up so that when a viewer leaves the PDP, it sends them back to the category of paintings they were viewing rather than back to "all," in this case back to all of my paintings, which will eventually include multiple categories of paintings?

10 minutes ago, AAStudio said:

Is there a way to add a section that will be at the bottom of each PDP that would allow people to view "other products they may be interested

Yes, you can enable the Related Products feature. Related products display at the bottom of a PDP and will show up to five products from the same store page.

Related products display based on category or tag. You can then choose how products display:

• Random - Display random products in the category or tag.
  • Recently added - Display the newest products in the category or tag.
  • Highest quantity - Display products with the highest stock level in the category or tag.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

8 minutes ago, AAStudio said:

is there a way to set it up so that when a viewer leaves the PDP, it sends them back to the category of paintings they were viewing rather than back to "all,"

Can you give an example of a user journey and what happens?

For example, when a user clicks on the first painting in the Bedrock Collection called "Unexpected," it takes them to the PDP for "Unexpected." Above the painting is the link back to the originals, like this:

But since the only option to click to go back to the group of paintings is "Originals" the user will be directed back to the page with all products or all original paintings, rather than back to the category page of "Bedrock Paintings." It seems more intuitive to send the user back to the category of paintings they were interested in viewing rather than back to all paintings.