Moving menu to the side in 7,1

• Replies 8
  • Views 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks - this is my website on 7 www.sarahjanefield.com. Using 7.1 for a client, I have discovered there is no option to move the menu over to the side bar it is on my site, nor a secondary menu option. The menu is only available across the top bar and when it drops down there are there horrible lines under the current page (unlike 7 or Wordpress where the font changes colour if a menu item is being used, which is much better) plus it interrupts the image unless being used on a large screen. See screenshot. A side bar menu would alleviate the ugliness of the lines and solve the block over the image on smaller screens, so I am surprised it is not an option on 7.1. I have to say, having used 7.1 for a client, I am very happy to stay on 7 myself for the moment! I have tried using some code I found in CSS to remove the lines but it screws up the phone menu. I do not write code but am capable of adding it and making minor adjustments in CSS.

image.thumb.png.884207b483f3431b7dacdef98791939c.png

On 3/8/2023 at 4:27 PM, SJFieldMediaConsultation said:

Thanks - this is my website on 7 www.sarahjanefield.com. Using 7.1 for a client, I have discovered there is no option to move the menu over to the side bar it is on my site, nor a secondary menu option. The menu is only available across the top bar and when it drops down there are there horrible lines under the current page (unlike 7 or Wordpress where the font changes colour if a menu item is being used, which is much better) plus it interrupts the image unless being used on a large screen. See screenshot. A side bar menu would alleviate the ugliness of the lines and solve the block over the image on smaller screens, so I am surprised it is not an option on 7.1. I have to say, having used 7.1 for a client, I am very happy to stay on 7 myself for the moment! I have tried using some code I found in CSS to remove the lines but it screws up the phone menu. I do not write code but am capable of adding it and making minor adjustments in CSS.

image.thumb.png.884207b483f3431b7dacdef98791939c.png

Can you share link to 7.1 site? We can check dropdown problem easier

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

My issue is not exactly the same yet similar... In addition to my Header menu, I want to have a secondary menu on the side for a single page (using anchor links). Additionally, I want that side menu to have a single pulldown menu (pointing to additional anchor links). 

I noticed that Squarespace support pages have exactly what I'm looking for. So I reached out to Squarespace and was told, "To do that, you would likely need to use custom code. While you’re welcome to use custom code, we aren’t able to offer troubleshooting support for advanced modifications like custom code."

Attached are a screenshot of a Squarespace support page (doing exactly what I want) and a .gif I made, showing before and after states of my desired side menu.

This seems like it should be fairly simple yet I've scoured the web and can't seem to find a straight answer:\ PULEEZE, help me! Thanks:)

Screen Shot 2023-03-11 at 1.18.52 PM.jpg

SidebarPulldown-Example.gif

Edited by straybill
grammar
7 hours ago, straybill said:

My issue is not exactly the same yet similar... In addition to my Header menu, I want to have a secondary menu on the side for a single page (using anchor links). Additionally, I want that side menu to have a single pulldown menu (pointing to additional anchor links). 

I noticed that Squarespace support pages have exactly what I'm looking for. So I reached out to Squarespace and was told, "To do that, you would likely need to use custom code. While you’re welcome to use custom code, we aren’t able to offer troubleshooting support for advanced modifications like custom code."

Attached are a screenshot of a Squarespace support page (doing exactly what I want) and a .gif I made, showing before and after states of my desired side menu.

This seems like it should be fairly simple yet I've scoured the web and can't seem to find a straight answer:\ PULEEZE, help me! Thanks:)

Screen Shot 2023-03-11 at 1.18.52 PM.jpg

SidebarPulldown-Example.gif

What is your site url? We can check easier

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 2 weeks later...