Link a digital download after purchase of Physical product

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

We are selling a physical music CD that has a free digital download of it. From what I can see, the only way to attach the digital download to it is after the purchase with an email that has a link to download it.

I've created the email to go out immediately after the purchase, but I can figure out the process to link it to a digital file. 

Appreciate the help.

• Solution
9 hours ago, shorchestra said:

We are selling a physical music CD that has a free digital download of it. From what I can see, the only way to attach the digital download to it is after the purchase with an email that has a link to download it.

Squarespace doesn't have a great way to manage "physical+digital" sales yet, which is a real shame as more and more users are creating content to sell in this way.

The safest way to distribute a digital download is by setting up a digital product but these must be purchased through the checkout at a different time to the physical product - which is not a great experience when you are offering a physical+digital sale.

As you said, you could email customers with a link to the file, but there isn't an easy way to store that file on Squarespace safely. At least not yet. Uploaded files aren't afforded any security protection and are subject to a limit of 20MB. One workaround is to upload the file to a service like Google Drive and then link to this in your email.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.