Membership Billing

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hey There, 

I am currently designing a membership for a client and I have a few questions around the billing options. My client in on the second tier subscription which entitles her to have up to 3 memberships. 

Her offering is an annual container where you can pay up front for the full year or pay monthly payments. She would also like to offer an another payment option for her clients to sign up for just one month of content. 

My questions are; 

Is this possible, as I can't see an option offer anymore payment tiers? 

How does the billing cycle work? Can you set it so that all payments are withdrawn at the start each month on the same date?

If someone signs up mid month will the payment come out on date of sign up? 

Is there a waitlist option? 

If you can set up a third payment option, can you limit that client to only have access to one month of content? 

Sorry for all the questions, I can't seem to find these answers in the usual SS help! 

Thanks so much, Alice 

• Replies 4
  • Views 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Solution
5 hours ago, embodyinglight said:

I am currently designing a membership for a client. Her offering is an annual container where you can pay up front for the full year or pay monthly payments. She would also like to offer an another payment option for her clients to sign up for just one month of content. Is this possible, as I can't see an option offer anymore payment tiers? 

It sounds like you are currently offering the Fixed amount option where they pay a fixed amount for membership, either in a one-time payment or in installments. This will give them indefinite access to the member area when they have paid the full amount. They will never lose access.

If you want to offer an ongoing subscription membership you'll need to create a Subscription member area. Subscribers can then choose from Yearly or Monthly payments to continue to subscribe to the member area. They can cancel at any time but, when they cancel, they'll immediately lose access.

How does the billing cycle work? If someone signs up mid month will the payment come out on date of sign up? 

Yes, subscription payments are taken on the same date as their first payment. They are not synchronised with other subscribers.

Is there a waitlist option?

No, there isn't a built in feature but you can create your own manually by creating a new page with a Newsletter Block and email them later with Email Campaigns.

If you can set up a third payment option, can you limit that client to only have access to one month of content? 

No, you cannot do this.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Just now, embodyinglight said:

My client...has created a subscription, sign up for the year and either pay monthly or the full amount. She would also like to create a buy one month of content also.

I think there may be some confusion about the terminology, so let me try to clarify the options.

Member Areas doesn't have a "sign-up for the year" or a "Sign up for a month" option. Users are always provided with ongoing access to the member area, which they either need to keep paying for ("Subscription") or they pay a fixed amount and retain access forever ("Fixed amount").

To illustrate this, let me show you the payment options that your client may have used. The options are Subscription or Fixed amount as shown below:

image.thumb.png.fa56516d3087316cdb844716045bb6cb.png 

image.thumb.png.ece4e9b748150a2344fdb1e2d9f676de.png

You can check which one your client used by clicking the 'gear' icon next to their Member Area name in the PAGES panel:

image.png.9c3ac65a245d8d4265dd927c84b7e314.png

Subscription

If your client used the Subscription options shown above, users will be offered Yearly and Monthly sign up options.

image.png.d58962de29d1f3a5adb3ad3b8c893eeb.png

With a Subscription, members pay for membership on a recurring basis for access to the member area. There isn't an option to limit it to one month or one year. Members can cancel their subscription manually at any time to top future payments and lose access to the member area.

Fixed Amount

If your client used the Fixed amount options shown above, users would pay a fixed amount for unlimited access to the member area. In this example, they'll be offered the choice of paying the entire cost in one larger payment of £120 or paying in twelve monthly installments of £10. With the Fixed amount option, these payments don't recur. After the first year, members will retain access to the member area but won't make further payments. 

I hope this additional information helps. If it does, please click one the feedback icons below. 

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.