Mark a digital download product as Sold Out

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hi,

Is it possible to mark a digital download product as sold out? I am looking under the inventory but the option does not seem to be available. Is there any workaround for this, such as changing the product to another type and marking it as sold out?

Thanks in advance!

9 minutes ago, Phobica said:

Is it possible to mark a digital download product as sold out?

Technically, digital products cannot sell out as they are a digital asset that can be duplicated. Can you explain the context so we can understand why you are using the 'digital product' type and yet want to mark it as sold out?

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

17 minutes ago, paul2009 said:

Technically, digital products cannot sell out as they are a digital asset that can be duplicated. Can you explain the context so we can understand why you are using the 'digital product' type and yet want to mark it as sold out?

Thanks, @paul2009. The context is that it is a nutrition programme that includes a digital download, but also 1-to-1 consultations. The programme is now full, but the client would prefer that the page remains live but displaying as 'sold out' so that advertisements still lead to the page, rather than being a broken link.

• Solution
5 minutes ago, Phobica said:

it is a nutrition programme that includes a digital download, but also 1-to-1 consultations. The programme is now full, but the client would prefer that the page remains live but displaying as 'sold out'

Thanks for the additional explanation.

As the digital download is just one element of a wider service, it may be better to use a service product instead of a digital product, as the stock level can then be used to determine availability. For example, if there are only 40 slots available on the programme, they can set the stock level to 40 and it would prevent over-subscription.

It would also allow them to use the product waitlist feature where potential customers can submit their email address when the product is sold out, and be notified when the programme is available again.

Regarding the included download, they could make this available using a Squarespace Email Campaigns automated email that is sent when someone purchases the service.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

3 minutes ago, paul2009 said:

Thanks for the additional explanation.

As the digital download is just one element of a wider service, it may be better to use a service product instead of a digital product, as the stock level can then be used to determine availability. For example, if there are only 40 slots available on the programme, they can set the stock level to 40 and it would prevent over-subscription.

It would also allow them to use the product waitlist feature where potential customers can submit their email address when the product is sold out, and be notified when the programme is available again.

Regarding the included download, they could make this available using a Squarespace Email Campaigns automated email that is sent when someone purchases the service.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Thanks, this will be a better implementation for the next programme. Am I write that it isn't possible to retroactively change the product type to a service product?

3 hours ago, Phobica said:

Am I write that it isn't possible to retroactively change the product type to a service product?

Correct. You cannot change a product type.

If you want to replace an existing digital product with a service product, take care to change the product URL before you delete or hide it, otherwise you won't be able to use the same URL for the replacement product.

Edited by paul2009