Is there a way to create a blog with two text columns?

Go to solution Solved by creedon,

Add the following to Blog Settings > Advanced > Page Header Code Injection for the blog page. Please see per-page code injection.

<style>

.blog-single-column .blog-single-column--wrapper {

display : grid;
    gap : 30px;
    grid-template-columns : 1fr 1fr;

}

</style>

Let us know how it goes.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Post Blog Item Code Injection

That location is for individual blog posts and is different form where I instructed the code be installed. My code is for altering the blog post listing page from one column to two columns. Is your Layout set to Single Column?

235751729_ScreenShot2022-12-05at2_02_03PM.png.a3038aa7dace1898aab3002f8fb31558.png

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

I have the blog listing page set for side-by-side blogs, but I will change it if you tell me to.

I may not have been clear; my wish is to have each individual blog entry have two columns of text. Or better, two columns of text and then a full-width block (the width of the two above) beneath it. But I'll take what is possible.

I'm new to Squarespace, I appreciate you taking the time to help me.

• Solution

I have the blog listing page set for side-by-side blogs, but I will change it if you tell me to.

No no. Only do it if you want your blog listing page to have two columns. And, of course if you don't want two columns on the blog listing page then don't use the code provided.

To have two columns in a blog post you can do that by putting two text blocks side by side.

1791740763_ScreenShot2022-12-05at6_02_58PM.png.3363d2d2c76cba785fb4ea09f2c07485.png

Being new to editing on SS you might find it a bit tricky. SS likes to combine text blocks that are vertically aligned into one. If you find yourself having trouble reaching the above layout, use a text block, line block, text block. Then align your text blocks side by side and remove the line block. The line block keeps the SS combining feature from happening.

Let us know how it goes.

Edited by creedon

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@creedon I tried this, but the text in the block on the right appears before the text in the block on the left when in Mobile view.

In desktop view editing, if I hover on the left block it shows it as being full width - I'm guessing something isn't quite set up right.

Any thoughts?? I'm about ready to throw the laptop out the window! (I'm very new to this whole SS thing, so I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong and just can't spot it!). Many thanks!

Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 12.35.33 pm.png

Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 12.35.43 pm.png

Edited by naomi-jackson
6 minutes ago, naomi-jackson said:

the text in the block on the right appears before the text in the block on the left when in Mobile view.

Please post the URL for a page on your site where we can see your issue.

A link to the backend of the your site won’t work for us, i.e. a url that contains /config/.

Please set up a site-wide password, if your site is not public and you've not already done so.

Post the password here.

Adding a site-wide password does not allow anyone to alter your site. It only allows those with the password to see your site.

Please read the site-wide password and how to share a link documentation to understand how they work.

We can then take a look at your issue.

You may find How to post a forum question post useful.

20 hours ago, naomi-jackson said:

amazingly, the "add lines and spacers and click and drag things randomly around for a while" strategy ended up working and I've muddled through. Days trying to work this out and just fluked

One of the issues with the Classic Editor is that it is possible to get rows and columns nested in such a way that things don't flow the way you would expect. SS provides no way visually to see these nesting issues. If you are a web developer it is possible to see this nesting issue.

I do have a bookmarklet that can help with seeing these issues.

Please see the following.

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2024 at 7:44 PM, blunderlord171 said:

Hey this is a really helpful chain! I am finding something related to this.

I want to have 2 columns at the top of the blog then one single 'whole width' column underneath. Is there a way of doing that too?

If you look at the answer from @creedon above that is marked as the solution, then you can set up your 2 columns like this and then add another block below for the 'whole width' column