Why is Squarespace SO slow???

Hi,

I haven't participated in the SS forum before but I'm SO frustrated. Can someone please tell me why Squarespace is so slow? Meaning when I'm working on the site/building the pages, the platform feels like there are 1 million other people working at the same time. Maybe this is true! 

I'm constantly needing to refresh the page after making edits which likely only slows things down. Often my work doesn't get saved and I don't understand why my edits in the desktop version messes with the mobile version and visa versa. It was my understanding that they are separate. Oh, there's more but I will start here hoping someone will have some compassion for my situation. Apparently, I'm doing something incorrectly? Or, is this a practice of patience? Any advice or suggestions are needed. Thank you!

p.s. Please know I have looked up each scenario, watched videos, read the Squarespace pages and I have found very little that helps. The notion that Squarespace doesn't have a human to help with such issues is also a bit infuriating. Again, thank you to the brave soul(s) who is/are willing to offer some pearls of wisdom.

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, MacyGrace said:

I'm constantly needing to refresh the page after making edits which likely only slows things down.

You shouldn't experience any performance issues when editing a site unless you have added more than 400 pages. If you've just started out, this is unlikely to be the issue. 

The first thing I recommend is to use the Google Chrome browser. If you are already using it, check you are using the latest version (version 107). If you the issues persist with Chrome 107 then I recommend that you record your experiences (Loom is a good example of a free tool that you can use) and then send details to Squarespace.

I don't understand why my edits in the desktop version messes with the mobile version and visa versa. It was my understanding that they are separate.

There are currently three Squarespace editors in use:

• Squarespace 7.0
  • Squarespace 7.1 Classic editor
  • Squarespace 7.1 Fluid Engine editor

See this article if you are unsure how to check your site's template and version.

If you are using the Fluid Engine editor, you can set the size and position of blocks independently for desktop and for mobile devices. All other block settings apply to both; they cannot be set independently.

If you are using Squarespace 7.0 or the Squarespace 7.1 Classic editor, there is not a separate mobile layout. Blocks will automatically 'wrap' to the new size.

The notion that Squarespace doesn't have a human to help with such issues is also a bit infuriating.

You can chat to a real human using live text chat, or open a support ticket by email by visiting the Squarespace Customer Care support page.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 year later...

@paul2009 I have a Contributor who is making blog entries for me. The blog entries are relatively simple (a title, image, very short excerpt, tag and category - no body text) but, there are now tens of thousands of them in total.

As of last week she has been experiencing slow performance in adding blog entries now.

However, when I go in and add blog entries, I don't have any issues.

Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, jmerrill said:

I have a Contributor who…has been experiencing slow performance in adding blog entries…Any suggestions?

Some thoughts:

Are they using a computer? Is it a hybrid (touchscreen) one?

Are they using the latest version of the Chrome browser?

Have they cleared their browser cache? I imagine it is very large if they’ve been adding lots of posts. 

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.