Best practice for Classic and Fluid - is it ok to mix sections?

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hi all,

I'm wondering what the best practice is around a site that is already built in Classic editor – is it ok to start using Fluid engine on new sections, or best just to stick to Classic? 

I know it can cause some code to need adjustment so I'm happy to keep sites all one (either Classic of Fluid), but this is for a client site and they work with another freelancer who is keen to use Fluid. I guess I just want to be able to say best practice is to stick to one, and stop messing with it 😂 

Thanks

• Solution
10 minutes ago, LouiseDrever said:

I'm wondering what the best practice is around a site that is already built in Classic editor – is it ok to start using Fluid engine on new sections, or best just to stick to Classic? 

You can use both. Whether you choose to use Fluid Engine at this time will depend on your client and how comfortable they are editing sections with the new editor. Some users know no different and pick it up very quickly whereas others find it more difficult, time-consuming and frustrating because it is still difficult to align some layouts for tablet devices. 

That said, there aren't any technical issues that prevent you using both Fluid Engine and Classic sections on the same site - or the same page!

Bear in mind that even if you build a new site entirely with the Fluid Engine editor, the client will still use the Classic editor to edit collection pages, like Blog posts, Events and additional information sections on Store pages. These areas of a site cannot use Fluid Engine, at least for the time being (expect this to change in 2023).

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

5 minutes ago, LouiseDrever said:

they're not looking at different devices and some of the spacing makes my eyes water. 

I hear you! It's an ongoing challenge to layout FE pages so they look great on tablets and smaller notebooks. It can be done but, in my experience, it often requires the client to compromise on some page designs, and it is also very time-consuming.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

19 minutes ago, ilseS said:

little things like buttons cannot be made to match, no matter the sizing in settings, they just render differently in FE.

Are you talking about they way that spacing changes according to the viewport width (which is normal for FE sections) or are you experiencing other style issues with buttons?

As an example of what I see, here's a screenshot of a single page that I created. It includes a Classic section and a FE section with each section containing a heading and a line of paragraph text followed by a primary, secondary and tertiary button:

image.thumb.png.db1d8a4af9ea4f5fb630c164c0f186dc.png

Im experiencing other issues. Meaning a primary button (or any other) in FE with same styling, no matter how I fit/fill etc, is still bigger (or smaller) than a primary button in a CE section. ...maybe its me 😒 If I completely change the row height, I can get the vertical padding of the buttons to be the same, but without a lot of tweaking, same buttons look  obviously different.

Edited by ilseS
spelling

@paul2009 I realised what the issue is ...Buttons start out the same in CE and FE, but, if I adjust the vertical padding -as I often do because I find the buttons a bit clunky, it seems they don't render equally in FE and CE. Perhaps to do with cell height? So a button at 0.9em vertical padding looks great in a CE section, but significantly bigger in a FE section, unless I adjust cell padding ...which of course affects everything else.