How to not charge VAT in the UK

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hello! 
I’ve been searching all over my website and help centre to remove tax on my artwork (in checkout) on my website.

Because I am only self employed and not registered with business VAT. It is illegal in the UK to charge for VAT if you’re not registered (this is separate to income tax) And normally only register if your turnover is over £80k which currently mine isn’t even £8k, so not an option as I’m starting out  

I have tried uploading via Products and Services and both are automatically charging the customer in checkout for VAT - which by law I can not charge - this is beyond frustrating. 
Can one assume that I am not allowed to sell on my Squarespace site tax ‘free’ items? 
Is it some kind of E-commerce thing where they all come with VAT even if it’s 10p items? 
Hope this makes sense. Thanks. 

I would like to add that the rest of the setting up on the e-commerce page has been fabulous. It’s just this tax thing is really letting it down. I may have to sell my art elsewhere which just seems completely illogical to me. 
There should be a simple easy option when uploading the product/service to add postage, how much and the tax. It’s odd how that bit is so complicated and automatic, compared to the rest of it which is well designed. Thanks 

• Solution
1 hour ago, ElishaMay said:

Because I am only self employed and not registered with business VAT. I have tried uploading via Products and Services and both are automatically charging the customer in checkout for VAT - which by law I can not charge - this is beyond frustrating. 

As you said, as a small business with a turnover of less than £85,000 you should not normally need to register or charge for VAT (although there are some exceptions). If you don't need to charge VAT, you can easily set the VAT rate to 0% on Squarespace.

To do this:

1. Go to Commerce > Taxes.
  2. In the Manual setup area, click ADD RATE and then add your home country (United Kingdom).
  3. Set the Country Rate to 0%
  4. Click SAVE to save your changes. 

You can now sell all your products and services without charging VAT.

image.thumb.png.23973c7f42ae351b19c4205c372544b7.png

image.thumb.png.60ba57190473a667869981eca30e8010.png

Was this post helpful? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009
Added screenshot

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.