How to set up a multi-language website? (URGENT)

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: https://www.redfx.co/

Hello to all of you!!

I've been trying to create a professional multi-language (English and French, to be more precise) website for the past 3 weeks and I've always seem to encounter  a problem. 

I've read all the posts that I could find in the forum, related to this issue but none seem to fully work for my website. The only code that did managed to work was the one from this page: https://www.bradgood.net/articles/multi-language-content-on-any-squarespace-template BUT it only worked for a couple of days until it abruptly stopped with no explanation. 

I tried deleting the entire code and reapply it but now I get "syntax error" each time… I've deleted it.

I've tried these methods too and none work:

Can someone please help me out? 

Thank you for the attention!

Hello, 

No, it's not working. 

I've added a cover page and added buttons linked to both English and French homepages, but once you select the language, it show both english and french pages at the same time. 

It was supposed to show the pages of the same language in the navigation and hide the other pages. 

I'm not sure if I expressed myself correctly, I apologize if its not the case!

On 1/19/2022 at 10:30 AM, Kevin_40-red_fx said:

I've been trying to create a professional multi-language (English and French) website for the past 3 weeks and I've always seem to encounter  a problem. It only worked for a couple of days until it abruptly stopped with no explanation. I've deleted it.

Squarespace have been making a lot of unannounced changes lately, and these can affect custom code. However, it will be difficult to troubleshoot if you've removed the code. Can you add it again and let us take a look? If you have any screenshots of the errors (alongside the code) this may also help.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• Solution
52 minutes ago, Kevin_40-red_fx said:

in the navigation there still is all the pages shown

This seems to be caused by the external button in the navigation. It is causing an error. Perhaps you added this button recently?

Try removing the section of code that deals with the button. It's the section that starts with the first line below and is 6 lines long. Remove all six lines and save the changes.

$('nav button').each(function () {
  var...
  var...
  if...
    $(this)...
});

When I do this, it works:

1562885366_Screenshot2022-01-20at20_18_30.thumb.png.957bf5951d93d89557b3631f80ea557e.png

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

1 minute ago, Kevin_40-red_fx said:

Can you give me a code to...replace the "EN and FR" with the flags of UK and France?

See step 5a in Brad's guide. He provides a solution here. That said, I only recommend using flags if you are specifically targeting customers in the UK and France. If you want to target customers anywhere who speak English or French, it's better to keep the EN and FR. See my old post on this subject.