Only 5 of 150 Pages Showing Valid in Google Search Console

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: http://comohandcraftedgifts.com

Hello,

Went live with our Squarespace store on 9-11-21, have around 150 product pages, not getting much traffic other than direct searches.  I used Google Search Console to look in to this, found that my site has a total of 5 valid pages, 1 excluded page, no pages with errors, and no pages that are valid/with warnings.  I checked on a couple of pages, requested indexing, and both were rejected for the same reason, "Indexing Issues Detected With URL".  Next page said "Page Fetch Failed: Not Found (404)

I used a Squarespace template to create all product pages, didn't mess with any of the generated URL's for any of the pages.  One of the reasons we chose Squarespace for our eCommerce business was the ease of use, as I do not have the time or know-how to do a lot of trouble-shooting to find out why our pages are not showing up.  If anyone can offer some ideas, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,  

Patrick

• Solution

This is because Google is not aware of any of your products and cannot serve them up in results. 

I can see two issues that you may want to address:

• Your shop pages have not been indexed, and
  • Your homepage has insufficient content.

This means there is very little for Google to index.

Homepage content

Your homepage doesn't contain any keywords that customers are likely to be searching for. As there is very little information on this very important page, Google has indexed "Shipping included in purchase price. Products will be shipped 1-3 days after order is placed. For local purchases, save 10% on your order by arranging local...". 

I recommend that you either set the shop page as the homepage, or add some Summary Blocks to the home page that show some of your products, such as your new arrivals or biggest sellers.

Indexing the site

When you have updated your homepage content, ask Google to reindex your site using your site mapI've checked your sitemap and it appears to be correct, with updates to products in Sept and Oct, so submitting this should allow Google to see all the site’s publicly available page URLs and image metadata. 

1. To do this, log on to the Google Search Console dashboard, select the site you’d like to index from the property menu in the top left corner.
  2. Click Sitemaps.
  3. Under Add a new sitemap, enter your sitemap URL. This is https://comohandcraftedgifts.com/sitemap.xml
  4. Click Submit to request Google index your site.

If this post has helped you, please click a 'Like' or 'Thanks' icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Hi @paul2009

And is it most likely that after indexing You mentioned the issue will get solved? I have page what was in Wordpress before and now (WP) domain has been connected to Squarespace (and new page created in SS). And page has been published, but all the search results in Google are from the old Wordpress page..

I Indexed it and added to site map, now I should wait for the 72 ha.

Thanks in advance,

Gerda

12 minutes ago, geglaja said:

I have page what was in Wordpress before and now (WP) domain has been connected to Squarespace (and new page created in SS). And page has been published, but all the search results in Google are from the old Wordpress page

You can set up a URL redirect to help in the meantime. This will forward visitors away from pages that don't exist (from your WP site) to active pages on your Squarespace site.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 months later...

Site URL: http://comohandcraftedgifts.com

Paul,

You replied to my original question back in late October of 2021, and gave me some great tips.  Since that time, our site has grown to close to 200 pages.  However, sales from internet searches have remained at next to nothing, we get very few hits from internet searches.  I have looked at the help section on the Squarespace site several times, but become frustrated each time, as I guess I just do not understand enough of the concept of SEO.  I am in serious need of whatever additional tips you may be able to provide.

Thanks,

Patrick