"You've reached the sitewide limit for video content." How do I free up this space?

Hi, I've been working on a website which uses a video backgrounds on almost every page and up until about a week or so ago I had no problem uploading the background videos, swapping them, re-upload them, removing them, etc. Now every time I try to upload or change an existing background video on a page I get the message "You've reached the sitewide limit for video content. Trim this video or delete 48 seconds of other content to upload this video."

I've tried deleting some of the videos, moving them to Vimeo and linking them from there, trimming them, and I still get the same message. If I duplicate a page that has the background video, the video plays fine. The problem is when I want to replace a video or upload a new one instead.

How can I free up this space and maybe delete some of the videos I'm no longer using? Is it like a Squarespace cache thing or is there a library where all the videos I tried out are stored, if so, where can I clear it?

• Replies 3
  • Views 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what the customer service writes about this error:

I reviewed the error, and I can confirm that although this is not yet documented, there is a total limit of 30 minutes of videos on the platform, which causes that message to appear when a site reaches it. We are already working on the update of the guide to reflect that limitation

While you may currently have less than 30 minutes uploaded on the site from all your videos, if you uploaded other videos to the site in the past and then deleted them, those would actually remain on our CDN servers and count towards the limit. 

We can help you delete those unused assets from the CDN servers, but we need to know which videos can be removed and which ones you would like to keep. If you only need the videos that are visible on the pages at the moment (including the new one that you'll add), just confirm that and we'll ask our team to remove all the other video static assets on our servers.

Good luck with that. Squarespace is just another disingenous company. They still hide important informations about such limitations of your site. After two days of waiting for my "deleted videos" to be deleted from their CDN server, I'm gonna start building a new homepage with cargo.site. They are at least not wasting my time and money.