Why is p2 default text style for text blocks in 7.1

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

• Solution

By setting the middle option (P2) to be the default option for standard paragraph text, it allows you to add text that is larger (P1) or smaller (P3) than this without using custom code.

There's no technical or SEO reason for the names, they are just used for simplicity in the Rich Text Editor (RTE). They won't appear in the page markup - the part that the browser/search engine/site visitor sees - and so won't influence SEO differently. In the markup, all three will appear as "<p>". Squarespace just adds the class 'sqsrte-large' or 'sqsrte-small' for the non-standard options P1 and P3 respectively.

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

Would you like your customers to be able to mark their favourite products in your Squarespace store?

• 2 years later...

Is there a way to change it so that P1 is the standard? I've created my site off of this and have been frustrated that I have to keep changing it from P2 to P1. Next site I build I'll take care of this issue so that I set p2 as the standard but for this one I was hoping for an easy global setting fix... if there is one 

26 minutes ago, Janet-CA said:

I wish that there were a way to keep the formatting from the previous paragraph instead of having to manually set it every time if you start a new paragraph and you don't want P2.

Squarespace's UI choice on this is dumbfounding! I don't know what word processors their UI people grew up using. I've never used one that automatically changes the font on you when you start a new paragraph.

As a workaround you can type shift-return which will prevent the new paragraph and then at the end of editing go back and type return before each new paragraph.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 3 months later...