Help with unresponsive "edit site header" button

Your site is private. Please set up a site-wide password.

Post the password here.

Adding a site-wide password is not a security breach. Please read the documentation at the link provided to understand how it works.

We can then take a look at your issue.

A common issue when this happens is Custom CSS is interfering with the layout. If you've used custom CSS remove it, make a copy somewhere, and see it the issue goes away.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Okay. I have tried to set a password, I click "save" and nothing happens. Almost as though the screen is frozen, similar to my issue above. Again, I tried this in different browsers to see if my browser is slow or whatever. Also, I noticed today that my Main navigation is empty and all the pages I built are Not Linked

• 7 months later...

@tdswali

Try disabling your Custom CSS on one of your sites temporarily. Do make a copy somewhere.

Are you using an extension of some kind on all four sites? Perhaps that extension is interfering.

Let us know how it goes.

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar - but different issue - on a site I administer for a friend.

We uploaded further new images of her work to a navigation folder, with a drop down list of topics linking to pages with images - with lightbox. Several pages were updated and left working fully last weekend. But problems from the following day (Monday).

In 'pages' edit mode - simple pages in the navigation header, with text, links or a single image, can be edited conventionally. But ... pages containing more than one image have a problem - click edit (top left) and Header and Footer will still highlight to allow edit when cursor is present, but only the '+' cursor shows over the page content - so unable to edit the content, but will click into lightbox mode.

Coincidently, the SS Help Centre web page now only opens without any content - just empty grey blocks with individual title heading.

Have spent a week trying to remedy these, but without any progress on either topic. Even tried installing a fresh newer MacOS, in case it was that - but no difference.

• 1 month later...

I think I figured out the issue. I asked the site owner to only give me design permissions. I didn't want a full admin role. However, with only design control, I could edit pages, but I couldn't gain access to change the header navigation. Once I was given full permissions that wasn't an issue.

Good luck with anyone else having this problem, it's extremely frustrating!

Tried this, thanks Paull ... did nothing to help.

We have no CSS or Javascript - just a plain Squarespace site with a limited number of 11 pages - but anything with media (music or portfolio images) is untouchable. As above, also tried a fresh install of macOS etc.

Short of  deleting all these affected pages and recreating them from scratch, I see no option ... and have not had any response, advice or feedback from Squarespace.

• Susana_SQSP changed the title to Help with unresponsive "edit site header" button
  • 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, elevatevisuals said:

I'm currently experiencing the same issues

Did you try restarting browser/computer? What happened? No change?

Do you have custom CSS? Did you try disabling it? Make a copy somewhere so you don't lose everything. What happened?

Hi

My issue appeared to be similar - but related to the inability to edit page sections based on portfolio. Back in March, on Sunday evening we updated the web site OK - Monday morning could not edit certain sections.

After no helpful feedback or advice, I contacted client support direct, and within 24 hours it was resolved. The tech guys behind the scenes are constantly tweaking (I guess), and suddenly my MacOS browser was the problem - no longer supported, tho there is no apparent way of checking this; unlike with Adobe, for example.

For a number of reasons, mainly older copies of CAD and technical software I used to use every day, I have not been migrating to updated MacOS each time.

Now, I have a commercial emulation package that allows me retain function on older software, but keep  updating MacOS.

12 hours ago, BAM46 said:

Now, I have a commercial emulation package that allows me retain function on older software, but keep  updating MacOS.

Those emulators can really save your bacon when in a situation like you have!