Legal Address Required?

• 1 year later...
On 5/5/2021 at 3:15 AM, NGrooms said:

One question I had is if a legal address is required to be in the footer of an automated email

@RMB The email marketing laws in most countries stipulate that you must clearly include a valid postal address for your business in your email campaigns.

This can be your current street address, a PO box address, or an address with a registered commercial mail-receiving company.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

I'm new to Squarespace having moved my blog from GoDaddy Website+Marketing.  The site was easy to build but I'm having an issue with how to notify subscribers when I've got a new post.  With my GoDaddy product, as soon as the post was published to the site it automatically sent an email to all subscribers with the post and a site link.  Squarespace is asking me to enter business details of business name, address and tax registration before an email can be sent to subscribers, supposedly due to anti-spam legislation - what's that all about?  I'm a blogger, I've no e-commerce on my site and I'm not trying to sell anything.  I am not a business and do not have the information they want in order to send out the email.  Why did GoDaddy not require this information but Squarespace do?  

The help articles don't really shed any light on it either.  They suggest buying a PO Box - really!!  

Can anyone here help?  Am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks

I'm re-opening this old post as it's the first I've found that might be able to answer my issue.  With a personal blog site, why is a business address required when the blog is not a business?  My old site was hosted by GoDaddy on their Website+Marketing plan and there was no need for a business address for their email campaigns which were sent out automatically when a new post was published.  I can't find any way to do this in Squarespace - it's extremely frustrating

Edited by Braehead
spelling
  • 2 months later...

I am re-opening this old post as well... I recently signed up for SquareSpace's automated email campaign to send out Thank you emails to people who subscribed to my newsletter ONLY to find out that you have to enter in your physical address which will be displayed on all emails sent out.  The automated email campaign is an upcharge to your regular SquareSpace subscription.  And the only work around someone suggested was to purchase a PO box.  Which is another added cost.  So I think I will have to cancel this SquareSpace feature and go with a competing product... 

• 3 months later...

I just hit this particular wall too. 

I'm also a blogger... not a commercial business, and of course I don't want to tell the world my actual address. Having just made an entire website here, written my first blog post and being ready to launch it into the world, I discover this "feature". 

It's madness. Surely there is a way for Squarespace to exclude non-commercial users from this requirement?

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2024 at 2:47 PM, MargaretMV said:

I just hit this particular wall too. 

I'm also a blogger... not a commercial business, and of course I don't want to tell the world my actual address. Having just made an entire website here, written my first blog post and being ready to launch it into the world, I discover this "feature". 

It's madness. Surely there is a way for Squarespace to exclude non-commercial users from this requirement?

Exactly ! what about freelancers? now because of this rule we are not able to send emails back to our subscribers only because we are not a company. its ridiculous. i hope squarespace find a solution for this. i was planning on starting a giveaway for opening my website and i really need this automatic subscriber emails to work without telling people where i live obviously!