Cant edit my site

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Notacoder said:

What template version, platform and browser are you using?

I'm using 7.1 idk what you mean by platform (isn't squarespace the platform)? Safari. I've cleared history, cache, restarted etc. 

If I create a new site I can edit that just fine. When I try to edit my existing site. Nothing happens.

1 hour ago, Ndi said:

Yes it's a Macbook Air. Does anyone know why I can't edit my site but can create a new site and edit that?

I am having the same issues on an iMac in Safari however, I have discovered that I can edit my site using Chrome. Additionally, I can edit my site using my iPad and Safari so to me it looks like a platform(Mac OS) and browser(Safari) issue.

One thing that I have noticed is new, when I click on the EDIT button(Mac OS+Safari) the entire bar across the top that includes the button, a blue outline appears(see attached file) and 'EDIT' does not change, not so in Chrome.

1447195608_ScreenShot2021-01-31at10_21_02AM.thumb.png.93efa2caad06f651776537e4ee3095b8.png

13 hours ago, Ndi said:

I've cleared history, cache, restarted etc. 

Have you tried logging out of the site/your SS account. Then do the clearing etc. and also make sure to clear out your SS cookies?

144001044_ScreenShot2021-01-31at11_39_24AM.png.f3d52cf8a8eddda8d351fd2fe5086325.png

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

1 hour ago, Notacoder said:

I am having the same issues on an iMac in Safari however, I have discovered that I can edit my site using Chrome. Additionally, I can edit my site using my iPad and Safari so to me it looks like a platform(Mac OS) and browser(Safari) issue.

One thing that I have noticed is new, when I click on the EDIT button(Mac OS+Safari) the entire bar across the top that includes the button, a blue outline appears(see attached file) and 'EDIT' does not change, not so in Chrome.

1447195608_ScreenShot2021-01-31at10_21_02AM.thumb.png.93efa2caad06f651776537e4ee3095b8.png

I have the same blue bar in Safari I can edit the nav and footer and add sections but can't remove sections off my home page. When I create a new site I can edit everything on the page so it can't be and issue with Mac or Safari it works for 1 and not the other.

10 minutes ago, creedon said:

@Notacoder

I just did an edit on my test site using Safari and macOS. It worked fine.

I did notice the blue border issue. It looks like an editing artifact.

711645006_ScreenShot2021-01-31at11_19_00AM.thumb.png.207ee3adc3785558b64d904db1f90815.png

That's odd. Does your 'EDIT' button change to 'DONE' when you click it?

We may need to narrow it down to platform and browser versions.

Mac OS: Version 10.12.6

Safari: Version 12.1 (12607.1.40.1.5)

7 minutes ago, creedon said:

Have you tried logging out of the site/your SS account. Then do the clearing etc. and also make sure to clear out your SS cookies?

144001044_ScreenShot2021-01-31at11_39_24AM.png.f3d52cf8a8eddda8d351fd2fe5086325.png

Yes, I have logged out and back in. Cleared Cache through the Develop Menu -> Empty Cache with no effect.

Removing these has no effect.

5 minutes ago, Notacoder said:

Yes, I have logged out and back in. Cleared Cache through the Develop Menu -> Empty Cache with no effect.

Removing these has no effect.

Right, I just tried it and it doesn't work. If you create a new site you can edit it with no problem, it's just existing site that you can't edit properly.

Just now, Ndi said:

Right, I just tried it and it doesn't work. If you create a new site you can edit it with no problem, it's just existing site that you can't edit properly.

That is really odd. They did have some issues with 7.1 templates on Thursday, https://status.squarespace.com but claim it is all fixed, apparently not.

1 minute ago, Notacoder said:

Lucky you 😉

Chrome is my preferred browser. Just fired up Safari to see if I could help! 🙂

Just tried adding a new page and adding blocks. All worked.

Getting SS involved is a good choice as I think we've done all reasonable testing on our ends.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

52 minutes ago, creedon said:

Chrome is my preferred browser. Just fired up Safari to see if I could help! 🙂

Just tried adding a new page and adding blocks. All worked.

Getting SS involved is a good choice as I think we've done all reasonable testing on our ends.

Yes true, thank you for your help

1 hour ago, Notacoder said:

That is really odd. They did have some issues with 7.1 templates on Thursday, https://status.squarespace.com but claim it is all fixed, apparently not.

I will work on what I can and submit a ticket to SS thank you for your input and help in trying to figure this out. 

FYI, It wasn't code that disabled the EDIT function in MacOS Safari 12.1 for me, I removed all the Custom CSS and still no luck even after a cache purge, so I reinstalled all my custom code.

That is until today Feb. 03., it looks like the SS engineering team sorted out the tissue and all is well again. Finger crossed.

On 2/2/2021 at 10:12 PM, creedon said:

@Ndi

Could you share the offending code? I'd be curious to see what can stop SS edit from working.

After some one from the head of squarespace contacted me and they did some trouble shooting and told me about some custom css. It was for sure this because when I took it off I could edit when I added it I couldn't. My other CSS coding is still in place and I can edit just fine.

<script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/3.2.1/jquery.min.js"></script>

<script>

$('.header-nav-folder-title[href^="/mega-"]').each(function() {

var link = $(this).attr('href');

var idName = link.slice(6);

$(this).parent().addClass('mega-menu');

$(this).parent().after('<div id='+idName+' class="mega-menu-item"></div>');

$('#'+idName).load('/mega-page-' + idName + ' #page',function(){

window.Squarespace.initializeLayoutBlocks(Y, Y.one('#'+idName));

});

})

</script>

5 hours ago, Notacoder said:

FYI, It wasn't code that disabled the EDIT function in MacOS Safari 12.1 for me, I removed all the Custom CSS and still no luck even after a cache purge, so I reinstalled all my custom code.

That is until today Feb. 03., it looks like the SS engineering team sorted out the tissue and all is well again. Finger crossed.

Maybe not in your case but in mine it was see above response. That code was in the footer code injection and it definitely was what was blocking me.

Archived