How to change theme?

Hello,

I was trying to get started with my website, and I could create multiple sites to try out. After testing publishing one of them and trying to connect my domain, I realized the template I chose isn't very convenient.

But now I can't seem to find an option to change a template nor to use a different website with my subscription. How can I replace my website with a different one, or just replace my website's template?

• Replies 4
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I started off with one of the demo sites available here: https://www.squarespace.com/templates

After some more digging I read I can't switch templates in 7.1 any more, and it seems I can't start off from scratch with another demo site either.

That's not obvious as the documentation starts off describing how it worked in 7.0 and the whole thing is confusing, as there's no hint about 7.0 vs 7.1 when browsing templates: https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205815598-Switching-templates
I's a bit disappointing that people using older software could do this and now we can't...

9 minutes ago, 3Dalchemy said:

After some more digging I read I can't switch templates in 7.1 any more, and it seems I can't start off from scratch with another demo site either.

In Squarespace 7.1, there is only one template. Squarespace show off the possibilities by showing you lots of named "starting points" but they are all using the same template. This is great because it means that every site that you start will have the same feature set available. If you've already started your site in Squarespace 7.1, you'll be able to manually copy any of these starting point designs without switching templates or starting again. 

In Squarespace 7.0 there are lots of different templates, all with different features. Some are great and up-to-date (such as the Brine-family) but some are very old and don't have the latest features. It is possible to swap templates but this is often necessary if you discover that the chosen template doesn't have a feature that you need. If you prefer, you can still start a new trial and build a site in Squarespace 7.0 using this link.

If a post helps you, please click a "Like" option below  ↘️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Thanks Paul, I understand. You're calling them "starting points" but actually they are referred to as "templates" when starting off. I remember choosing 7.1 for flexibility, but I didn't realize I couldn't change starting points easily.

Some things do seem more convenient in 7.0, such as changing the whole theme of the website, as well as receiving a fresh new structure.

In 7.1, if I want to change from a color preset to another it seems I have to change each section of each page individually...

Making a new site would be a good option if it wasn't wasting my subscription, don't think the contract can be moved there.

Thanks for the clarifications.

Archived