Navigation Bar Mods

Site URL: https://fuchsia-turkey-ztb5.squarespace.com/config/pages

Hi everyone. I want to add a few things to my page that are not available on the default template options:

1. Navigation Bar search Engine (to the right of the website logo)

2. Can I change the bounding box so that the navigation pages are in line with each other (instead of auto double stacking?)

3.  When making a blog post, can I have just the text and no image show?

Thank you in advance for your time.

• Replies 10
  • Views 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, DukeoftheGrapes said:

Let me start with number 3 others may have answers for this or the other items.

You don't have to add an image to a blog post. If you don't then it will just display the text you entered.

Does that work for your needs? If you need to add an image but hide it in some circumstances please give us more detail.

An example of a post with no image.

594322307_ScreenShot2020-10-14at7_57_57PM.png.33a025bd30f40cf889a438ec196e7583.png

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

26 minutes ago, DukeoftheGrapes said:

Site URL: https://fuchsia-turkey-ztb5.squarespace.com/config/pages

Hi everyone. I want to add a few things to my page that are not available on the default template options:

1. Navigation Bar search Engine (to the right of the website logo)

2. Can I change the bounding box so that the navigation pages are in line with each other (instead of auto double stacking?)

Thank you in advance for your time.

For the navigation search bar. You will need to find some block ids. Would that be ok if i give you the codes? Also what version is your template? 

For the second one, can I see a demo of that the issue looks like? thanks 🙂 !

51 minutes ago, creedon said:

Let me start with number 3 others may have answers for this or the other items.

You don't have to add an image to a blog post. If you don't then it will just display the text you entered.

Does that work for your needs? If you need to add an image but hide it in some circumstances please give us more detail.

An example of a post with no image.

594322307_ScreenShot2020-10-14at7_57_57PM.png.33a025bd30f40cf889a438ec196e7583.png

Thank Thomas. Is it possible to adjust the image and font sizes of the blog posts?

43 minutes ago, inunzi said:

For the navigation search bar. You will need to find some block ids. Would that be ok if i give you the codes? Also what version is your template? 

For the second one, can I see a demo of that the issue looks like? thanks 🙂 !

I wouldn't mind at all! By all means, send me the ID codes!

For the second issue, what I'm observing is essentially nav-bar stacking. Basically, the image below is what I want the nav bar (well, actually I coded it to be a secondary nav bar...) to look like REGARDLESS of how many pages are placed into bar:

image.thumb.png.d59d8580c1e75a27441182d67713b409.png

54 minutes ago, DukeoftheGrapes said:

Thank Thomas. Is it possible to adjust the image and font sizes of the blog posts?

Yes there are some built-in ways.

Style the Blog Page

Changing fonts

If you need to go beyond those options then we'll need more detail.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

1 hour ago, DukeoftheGrapes said:

I wouldn't mind at all! By all means, send me the ID codes!

For the second issue, what I'm observing is essentially nav-bar stacking. Basically, the image below is what I want the nav bar (well, actually I coded it to be a secondary nav bar...) to look like REGARDLESS of how many pages are placed into bar:

image.thumb.png.d59d8580c1e75a27441182d67713b409.png

1. Well the ID coding part would only work with page IDs on your site. Would you like me to try and do it on you site for you? Or would you just want the full code so that you can figure it out on your own?

2. Im terribly sorry if I am not understanding correctly. But are you meaning no matter ho many navigation items you put, it would always stay in the center without breaking up? Thanks 🙂!

1 hour ago, inunzi said:

1. Well the ID coding part would only work with page IDs on your site. Would you like me to try and do it on you site for you? Or would you just want the full code so that you can figure it out on your own?

2. Im terribly sorry if I am not understanding correctly. But are you meaning no matter ho many navigation items you put, it would always stay in the center without breaking up? Thanks 🙂!

1. Thank you very much for offering to do it for me. I would love to have the code already customized for my site, my biggest concern with calling IDs is that I inherently do not know how to use them, so that becomes a problem when I want to replicate the steps for something slightly different. Essentially I would like to learn how to do the process that you are helping me with (by the way, where should I look for learning these techniques?).

2. I want to have several navigation items, obviously not hundreds, but a lot more than 4, which is the maximum number of items that I seem to be able to have before the nav bar uses a line break...

2 hours ago, creedon said:

Yes there are some built-in ways.

Style the Blog Page

Changing fonts

If you need to go beyond those options then we'll need more detail.

So basically, I've actually decided to keep the blog images that are default to the Crosby template, but I want to make the images smaller (smaller than allowed in the editor, so I assume some custom CSS is needed) and I also want to make the text smaller, if possible. 

22 hours ago, DukeoftheGrapes said:

1. Thank you very much for offering to do it for me. I would love to have the code already customized for my site, my biggest concern with calling IDs is that I inherently do not know how to use them, so that becomes a problem when I want to replicate the steps for something slightly different. Essentially I would like to learn how to do the process that you are helping me with (by the way, where should I look for learning these techniques?).

2. I want to have several navigation items, obviously not hundreds, but a lot more than 4, which is the maximum number of items that I seem to be able to have before the nav bar uses a line break...

1. You are so very welcome 🙂 ! So are you saying that you would want the code to be already premade for you? Would you like some info on how to find block ids and page ids? Also if you would like to learn some css and website coding techniques. I will probably recommend asking for some advice from the circle forum members, or contacting designers for courses. The designer I found so far with courses is insidethesqaure. You can find her website here: InsideTheSqaure.co  You can also find some free/need to be bought plugins here on ghost plugins.com There are many many more websites like these to help you!

2.  Are you looking to have 4 or more nav. items in the enter still, or spread out on your site? Thanks! 

(BTW: I am not a website developer/designer, I just like to help people 🙂)

21 hours ago, DukeoftheGrapes said:

So basically, I've actually decided to keep the blog images that are default to the Crosby template, but I want to make the images smaller (smaller than allowed in the editor, so I assume some custom CSS is needed) and I also want to make the text smaller, if possible. 

May I see an example of what you would want it to look like?

Archived