how to add variants without going over stock?

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

I'm making a website for the masks i've been sewing. I usually start out with the ability to sew 10 masks per fabric choice, in a choice of four sizes, with three loop style options. obviously the number of variations that can be created from the product variants is greater than my stock. how do i create my listings in order to offer my customers all the necessary variations without over-selling my stock?

Edited by leahsachiko

If the price is the same for each option, you can use a custom product form to capture the options instead of variants. You can then have one product and set the stock level to match your requirements. 

About me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for over 18 yrs and a Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL, providing high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji below. Buying a coffee is optional.

Book paid help with domains: Connect a GoDaddy domain. Connect a Squarespace Domain. Domain assistance

Hi Paul, I have a similar question, but the price is not the same for each option. I'm selling kits with the option to have one element premade by me, which adds to the cost. I have been using variants but that means I have to watch the inventory like a hawk and try to balance it after every order.

The variants were, 'I'll make the beads ($20)' or 'I want premade beads ($32)'. It was easy for customers but kind of a nightmare for me, as I am doing very small batches that sell out in a day. I go crazy trying to avoid overselling!

I tried 'add premade beads' as an option to add to an order, but then somebody just bought the added product without the main one. Is there a way to have variants draw from the same inventory count? Or to choose an item and then choose the type, with price add-on?

Thanks to you or anyone who has a suggestion!

Cheers,

Kim

35 minutes ago, KimVanAntwerp said:

I'm selling kits with the option to have one element premade by me, which adds to the cost. I have been using variants but that means I have to watch the inventory like a hawk and try to balance it after every order. I tried 'add premade beads' as an option to add to an order, but then somebody just bought the added product without the main one. 

I completely understand. It can be a real challenge. 

There is a solution for this now, but it's not a "no-cost" option as it involves paying for a third-party service called Trunk inventory. Their service costs from $29 per month, but it can sync inventory across your site instantly, ensuring that you do not oversell.

One workaround is to display the add-on element as a separate product. You said yo'd tried this but had issues with someone buying it on its own. That's not great! I tried to take a look at the product to see if I could offer any additional advice, but I couldn't see it. However, as general advice I would suggest that you only show the 'Add to Cart' button for this add-on product when someone has added the main product to their cart. Also, if the add-on has a low cost, you could set a minimum checkout value so that customers cannot purchase add-ons only.

I hope this helps.

If a post helps you, please click a "Like" option below  ↘️

About me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for over 18 yrs and a Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL, providing high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji below. Buying a coffee is optional.

Book paid help with domains: Connect a GoDaddy domain. Connect a Squarespace Domain. Domain assistance

• 4 months later...
On 10/3/2020 at 6:44 AM, paul2009 said:

I completely understand. It can be a real challenge. 

One workaround is to display the add-on element as a separate product. You said yo'd tried this but had issues with someone buying it on its own. That's not great! I tried to take a look at the product to see if I could offer any additional advice, but I couldn't see it. However, as general advice I would suggest that you only show the 'Add to Cart' button for this add-on product when someone has added the main product to their cart. Also, if the add-on has a low cost, you could set a minimum checkout value so that customers cannot purchase add-ons only.

I hope this helps.

If a post helps you, please click a "Like" option below  ↘️

Hi Paul, 
How does one go about keeping the add to cart button from showing on the extra product until the main product has been added to cart?

15 hours ago, bobbykimani said:

How does one go about keeping the add to cart button from showing on the extra product until the main product has been added to cart?

To help you with a coding question, we need to be able to view the page on your website. Please post a working link to the page on your site so that we can take a look.

• The url will end with .squarespace.com.
  • Do not include the /config/ element.
  • If your site isn't live yet, we will only be able to use the link if you set a public password and tell us what it is. Adding a password won't affect the security of the site, but will enable the community to view the site.

• 1 year later...

Hi Paul,

I'm having the same issue has users above but was wondering if there has been an update with the newer versions of sqaurespace?

I'm selling artwork that are at a quantity of 1 and would like to add a "framing" option that costs more but when I add a drop down variant, I run the risk of two people purchasing the single artwork ( unframed and the other framed...) making it look like I have two in my inventory. 

Is it still better to do the add to cart option of a frame totally separate? Thanks!

• Solution
1 hour ago, krisvanhart said:

I'm having the same issue has users above but was wondering if there has been an update with the newer versions of Squarespace?

Hi @krisvanhartThings haven't changed.

If your inventory supply is limited (such as one artwork), and you want to offer upsells (such as framing) then it isn't possible to do this with variants, unless you pay for the very expensive Trunk extension that I mentioned in one of the threads above. Trunk allows you to zero both variants when either of them is sold, but it does this from a third party server; it isn't possible to do this on Squarespace - even with custom code.

However, you can offer framing options as separate products. There are a number of ways to do this some of which are simple, because they are built-in, and some would require custom code to be written but they may offer a better customer experience. 

Simple solutions include adding a link to the frame product(s) within the product description or using the 'Related Products' feature (requires a Commerce plan) to display the frames below the artwork.

Custom solutions may include adding icons, buttons and so on:

image.thumb.png.8fb82523faf2fc1195e512c9f4b89cc4.png

Edited by paul2009
edited for clarity

• 7 months later...

Hi folks!

Just trying to implement some customisation options for print products for customers. I am looking to sell one (and only one) print for each product while allowing the customer a choice of size options (i.e. A4, A3, etc). Is there a way in which the product as a whole can be listed as "sold out" when the first variant is ordered? Been having a play around but can't seem to get it to work - only that specific variant is sold out when the stock is limited to 1.

Any ideas or advice?

All the best!

1 hour ago, TwoMoonsAI said:

Is there a way in which the product as a whole can be listed as "sold out" when the first variant is ordered?

As I mentioned above, it is not possible to manage stock at the product level if you use variants. Each variant must have its own stock level and the only way to link stock levels is to use an expensive, third party extension.

• 1 year later...
On 2/9/2021 at 12:23 PM, paul2009 said:

To help you with a coding question, we need to be able to view the page on your website. Please post a working link to the page on your site so that we can take a look.

• The url will end with .squarespace.com.
  • Do not include the /config/ element.
  • If your site isn't live yet, we will only be able to use the link if you set a public password and tell us what it is. Adding a password won't affect the security of the site, but will enable the community to view the site.

I would really like to know the instructions for doing this work around. I’m doing a gift box. They can choose a print of their choice and a greeting card of their choice. I didn’t know the issues I was going to have with inventory when I planned this. So I’m quite frustrated. I’m trying to set up the second variant as a separate product, as you suggested above. But first how I keep them from only adding variant #2? How do I link them? How do I set up so add to cart only shows up if they select from the first variant first?

thank you. Hope to hear back very soon.