Address field woes

Site URL: https://www.tristarbincleaning.com

I have a service business. We do our work onsite, so there is no shipping. Consequently, our checkout process only allows collecting the billing address (no shipping address). We have enough customers that have separate SERVICE and BILLING addresses that we need to collect both, but 90%+ will use the same address.  So I added an address section to a custom checkout form to gather the service address that way.

My issues:

• The customer has to enter their address twice. (There is no way I can find to add a check box that denotes  “billing address same as service address” when adding an address field to the custom form) How can I get these to sync so my customers that want the service at their billing address do not have to fill out this information twice?
  • The country field is required on the forms. I only serve three counties in Tennessee. We do not need that field information at all. In some browsers, the customer can’t see the error that it needs to be completed, it just looks like the form will not submit. I set the settings to auto-populate that field in the billing address section of the form (and that works fine), but I can find no way to do that in the custom address form. I am OK with auto-populating or hiding this field.
  • Anyone else struggle with these issues?
  • Any fix or workarounds?
  • Replies 4
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Squarespace hasn't been designed for this situation and so there isn't a great solution.

First, the bad news:

• You cannot synchronise the 'service' address to match the billing address. It simply isn't possible.
  • You cannot hide the country field for an address.

However, here are some workarounds:

• You can add several 'text' fields to your custom checkout form instead of an 'address' field. If you are only serving three counties in Tennessee, this will reduce the number of fields that customers must complete. Also, you may want to use a dropdown box (instead of a text box) for the county, so that customers can select it from a list.
  • You can add a checkbox to the custom checkout form entitled "service address is the same as billing address" or similar and include a note that explains that they do not need to provide the address if they have checked the box. To do this, you'll need to make the address fields optional. By doing this there is a small risk that customers may not check the box and may not provide a service address.

If this helps you, please click "Like" below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Thank you for your response. Your suggestions seem to be workable workarounds (which I have implemented).

I find posts on the forums dating back several years with similar requests. I believe allowing “shipping address” to be leveraged by those of us doing service work would be a great feature. It could be advertised with either “shipping address” OR “service address” labels so minimal coding would be required by Squarespace developers. This would align the form with what customers expect to see and eliminate the “country” requirement as well.

Where can I submit that as a feature request?
2 hours ago, NiceMac said:
Where can I submit that as a feature request?

To raise a feature request, open a ticket through Customer Support. They'll share your feedback with the appropriate team.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Archived