Gallery Caption workarounds for 7.1?

Hi guys, I am new to the feed but after searching here for 3 hours and trying my luck - it just did not work. What I want to do: caption visible only in lightbox when clicking on it. I did enable caption. 

I managed to use a code to make the caption disappear but it doesn't show in the lighbox now 

Thanks so much.

So far my custom CSS:

section.gallery-section [class*='-item']:not([class*='-item-']) {
  position: relative;
}
.gallery-caption-grid-simple, .gallery-caption-content, {
  display: none;
}
.gallery-grid-item {
  padding-bottom: 0;
}
.gallery-grid, {
  .gallery-item-description {
    text-align: center;
    font-style: italic;
    font-variant: small-caps;
    font-size: 28px;
    line-height: 1;
    position: absolute;
    top: 50%;
    left: 50%;
    transform: translate(-50%, -50%);

}
}

a.gallery-masonry-image-link {
    top: 0;
    left: 0;
    right: 0;
    bottom: 0;
    z-index: 999;
}

11 minutes ago, alexplesner said:

Hi guys, I am new to the feed but after searching here for 3 hours and trying my luck - it just did not work. What I want to do: caption visible only in lightbox when clicking on it. I did enable caption. 

I managed to use a code to make the caption disappear but it doesn't show in the lighbox now 

Thanks so much.

So far my custom CSS:

section.gallery-section [class*='-item']:not([class*='-item-']) {
  position: relative;
}
.gallery-caption-grid-simple, .gallery-caption-content, {
  display: none;
}
.gallery-grid-item {
  padding-bottom: 0;
}
.gallery-grid, {
    text-align: center;
    font-style: italic;
    font-variant: small-caps;
    font-size: 28px;
    line-height: 1;
    top: 50%;
    left: 50%;
    transform: translate(-50%, -50%);

}
}

a.gallery-masonry-image-link {
    top: 0;
    left: 0;
    right: 0;
    bottom: 0;
    z-index: 999;
}

UPDATE: found this video super helpful and it actually works: https://www.rebeccagracedesigns.com/blog/grid-gallery-captions-on-hover

Hello, yes, I tried and it is showing the hover over effect as awe wanted but then the image cannot be open in the lightbox, if you are working on it I will much appreciate if you share how to open the image in lightbox, many thanks!!!!

Another thing besides not being able to open the image in the lightbox is that in the gallery of the home I can see the overlay is displaced, see attached. Is this connected with the code I added for text showing when hovering over image? This displacement of the overlay doesn't happen when there is no caption. Thank you!

Screenshot 2022-06-01 at 16.27.00.png

Screenshot 2022-06-01 at 16.26.53.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2022 at 12:47 PM, alexplesner said:

Naturally this is for a hover effect and I have just realised it is not helpful with lightbox _ working on it

Hello, did you have the chance to look at it? Besides the issue with images not opening in lightbox now, I see than whenever there is a caption on the images in home, the overlay is displaced, any ideas? Many thanks!!

• 2 months later...
21 hours ago, CBdesigns said:

Can anybody confirm if there is a way to add captions/titles below images in a Gallery Carousel, with the new Fluid Engine? I've tried altering the code from this forum without any luck.
Many Thanks!

Can you share link to page where you use Carousel & which code did you use?

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 1 month later...

I have the code running fine for captions in all galleries.

Now I'm trying to add section numbers into the code to allow for only certain galleries to have captions. Every time I try to add the section code as mentioned on the first page, all captions disappear. I'm obviously missing something.

In the code injection area where addGalleryItemDescriptions function exists, I put:

addGalleryItemDescriptions("section[data-section-id='6339a2a7e2eff31bdd154633']"); {

This is for the PhotoIllustration area of my site which I'm using as a test gallery.

I've tried the code leaving in the gs, and gdzs notation, but every variable ends with no captions.

What am I missing?

Site:https://garlic-hawk-pdp3.squarespace.com

Password: openupnow 

*Update: I added the Pinchable Zoom plugin and it's now covering over the captions completely. I need to work that out somehow.

Edited by CooperWhite
7 hours ago, CooperWhite said:

I have the code running fine for captions in all galleries.

Now I'm trying to add section numbers into the code to allow for only certain galleries to have captions. Every time I try to add the section code as mentioned on the first page, all captions disappear. I'm obviously missing something.

In the code injection area where addGalleryItemDescriptions function exists, I put:

addGalleryItemDescriptions("section[data-section-id='6339a2a7e2eff31bdd154633']"); {

This is for the PhotoIllustration area of my site which I'm using as a test gallery.

I've tried the code leaving in the gs, and gdzs notation, but every variable ends with no captions.

What am I missing?

Site:https://garlic-hawk-pdp3.squarespace.com

Password: openupnow 

*Update: I added the Pinchable Zoom plugin and it's now covering over the captions completely. I need to work that out somehow.

Password is incorrect

Or send to forum message

On 10/12/2022 at 7:19 PM, CooperBlack said:

Abstracts and a couple of the sections on the Photos Portfolio page.

Add this code to Abstracts Page Header

<style>
    display: none !important;
}
</style>

Or send to forum message

Excellent, thanks!

So I take it individual galleries of a Portfolio page (in my case Photos +) can't be handle in this way since there's no place to add Header injections? I can see it's applicable to the main page which affects all galleries, but not on an individual gallery basis.

Unless I'm missing something!

Edited by CooperWhite
On 10/15/2022 at 9:05 PM, CooperWhite said:

Excellent, thanks!

So I take it individual galleries of a Portfolio page (in my case Photos +) can't be handle in this way since there's no place to add Header injections? I can see it's applicable to the main page which affects all galleries, but not on an individual gallery basis.

Unless I'm missing something!

Edit Individual page > Add a Code Block > Paste this code

<style>
}
</style>

If you want to do this for all individual pages, add this to Portfolio Page Header

<style>
body.view-item .gallery-item-description {
}
</style>

Or send to forum message