Product variants and drop downs don't jive...

Hi, folks,

Here's my issue;

I build my products pages and have added color variations so that my customers can have options. We all like options, right? Anyhow... If I click on the drop down menu, to change the colors of the product selected, the corresponding variant product comes up. Its wonderful. What ISN'T wonderful, is that the reverse is not true. If I click on the images, the variant name in the drop box doesn't change. Has anyone figured out code for this issue and are you willing to share it? I have been on and off chats and emails with Squarespace folks (who are very helpful), but they cant help and told me they would get with their development team to someday make it a possibility. Or I was sent to the page on how to input code, which is fabulous but, well, I don't code.

Please, please, PLEASE, can someone out there help me with this?!

I am working in in the Kin template, which falls into the Brine template family.

• Replies 6
  • Views 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It can be done but it requires custom JavaScript coding. It's a complex enough solution to be beyond what I typically offer for free on the forums.  Not ridiculously complex, but I think we'd end up toing and froing and it would eat up too much of my time. 

It's possible that someone else will provide a free solution. If not, drop me a line and we can work out whether you'd like to engage me to build the necessary code. 

I'm Colin Irwin aka silvabokis.  I've been a Squarespace designer & developer since 2013. 
I remember when it was all wild prairies round these here parts. 🐃🤠
Advice I give on here is free, though I may sometimes post an affiliate link or promote something I've written.
That reminds me.. ..you might want to check out my
Squarespace template finder or have a look at my other Squarespace tips
Speaking of tips, 💲I've got a tip jar that you're welcome to throw a few quid into if you think I've helped you. 
If you're looking for a Squarespace developer 
Book a chat or Drop me a line - first meeting is always free  

I'm not sure I totally understand the question; it's certainly not an issue a client has ever raised. Can you provide us with a working link to one of these products on your website so that we can check it out? Note that if your site isn't live yet, you'll need to set a site password and tell us what it is.

I imagine this is, as Colin suggested, more complex than a simple 'snippet' but seeing the site would help the community to visualise the issue.

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

7 hours ago, paul2009 said:

I'm not sure I totally understand the question; it's certainly not an issue a client has ever raised. Can you provide us with a working link to one of these products on your website so that we can check it out? Note that if your site isn't live yet, you'll need to set a site password and tell us what it is.

I imagine this is, as Colin suggested, more complex than a simple 'snippet' but seeing the site would help the community to visualise the issue.

It’s something I’ve been asked by several clients.

Before variants had thumbnail images there was no relationship at all between the variant dropdown and the displayed product image. Now that variants have thumbnails you can select a variant from the dropdown and the product image swaps to show that variant. The reverse isn’t true - browsing through thumbnails doesn’t select the variant in the dropdown. 

I'm Colin Irwin aka silvabokis.  I've been a Squarespace designer & developer since 2013. 
Advice I give on here is free, though I may sometimes post an affiliate link or promote something I've written.
Speaking of tips, 💲I've got a tip jar that you're welcome to throw a few quid into if you think I've helped you. 

Depending on the products being sold and the images being added, selecting a variant using a thumbnail could result in a great user experience, or a pretty awful one. For example, a specific set of thumbnails for variant selection could be helpful, but on many sites the thumbnails include close-up shots of features and textures that are not specific to one variant. 

I'm just saying that being able to see a site (because the question includes a URL, and if necessary, a password) the community can provide a provide an answer that takes account of the context. 🙂

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

Oh yeah - it definitely only applies to solutions where the variant thumbnail specifically shows the variance (colour, size, whatever). 

I agree about the second point too, but if the OP describes a known problem it's often possible to get started on a discussion without needing to see the site in question. 

There is only one variant, being color, so its not super crazy. I couldn't possibly imagine the nightmare it would be if I added multiple variant options to each variant.

Archived