Sales Tax

I've read through some older posts, but wondering if Square Space has made an recent changes to make it easier to calculate Sales Tax?  I live in New York and manually entering 2.500 zip codes is almost not an option.  What have others done to work around this?

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The setup of tax rates has not changed. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

If you need to charge accurate tax rates in every zip code then adding all rates manually is the only option. Some ecommerce platforms connect with services that automatically update sales tax information, but Squarespace isn't one of them.

One potential option that I've seen suggested on a few forums is to identify the most expensive locale in your nexus state and charge that rate to everyone in the state. If you submit ALL the taxes you collect then technically you should be in compliance, even though you may be collecting a little more than required. Note that this isn't tax advice; I'm not an accountant or lawyer so you may want to professional advice.

If neither of these options are attractive, you may want to look at another platform like Shopify.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 months later...

Archived