Go to solution Solved by Ziggy,

Hi guys,

Just after a quick bit of advice from those that will know a lot better than I do as this is only my second ever site build. 

I have a lot of 301 redirects currently in place on my SQ site under mappings that all are concerned with old website pages of my first site being redirected to the new site and relevant equivalent. 

If I search on Google all I am seeing is the new website and the new content, no older links from the previous site. 
Site has been live now for 2 months which seems a short time to me but I wanted to know how long I should keep the 301s in place in my mappings area?

Advice online generally says 1 year + 

Thank you in advance 
Tim 

• Replies 2
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

• Solution
46 minutes ago, AmbientLife said:

Advice online generally says 1 year + 

A year is good, but it will really depend on if you have inbound links from external websites directing traffic to your website. You can monitor for this in the analytics, and if you do you can work on getting those links updated. If you don't do that and you want to maintain any of that potential traffic then you may want to keep the redirects in place longer.

Please like and upvote if my comments were helpful to you. Cheers!

Zygmunt Spray
Squarespace Website Designer
Contact me: 
https://squarefortytwo.com 
Hire me on Upwork!

🔌 Ghost Squarespace Plugins (Referral link)
📈 SEO Space (Referral link)
 SquareWebsites Plugins (Referral link)
 🔲 SQSP Themes (Referral link) 
Spark Plugin (Referral link) 
 🖼️ Pinch-to-Zoom Gallery Lightbox Plugin (Referral link) 

Did I help? Buy me a coffee?

3 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

A year is good, but it will really depend on if you have inbound links from external websites directing traffic to your website. You can monitor for this in the analytics, and if you do you can work on getting those links updated. If you don't do that and you want to maintain any of that potential traffic then you may want to keep the redirects in place longer.

Thank you! 

there are over 3,500 links into the old site (same domain) but most are to the actual domain name and not a sub 

I understand what you’re saying