Help/Advice on imported "A" Records

Hello,

This is likely a simple question for someone, and while I am somewhat capable technically I am not well versed in DNS.

This morning I transferred a domain to Squarespace from another provider (CloudAccess). The domain transferred successfully, though the SSL certs have not generated yet as it's only been a few hours.

My question is actually related to some of the imported DNS records, which SS appears to have pulled from the previous domain host. As you can see, we are using Google Workspace for mail (NOT purchased/configured through Squarespace). After the transfer, our mail services still work as the default Google Workspace MX records appear to have transferred properly. However I am confused about the "mail" A-records at the bottom (outlined in red) - are these leftover from a previous mail configuration? They do not appear to be Google-related IPs and the default/template Google MX settings only include the 5 "aspmx" records. To clarify, we recently setup/linked a new Google Workspace for this domain within the last 3/4 months — I'm assuming these other "A" records may be left over from a previous config at the previous host, but I don't know enough to feel comfortable deleting them.

I would appreciate any advice from someone more knowledgeable.

Thanks!

SCR-20240326-lolg.png

• Replies 1
  • Views 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Typically, A records like that are used for connecting to a mail server. If you're using Google Workspace and you aren't intentionally pointing the "mail" subdomain to another service or site, they should be safe to remove.

If it helps, the site ipinfo.io shows that the IP addresses in your screenshot are both associated with CloudFlare, though I don't see them listed in CloudFlare's documentation. You could reach out to Cloudflare and double-check if they recognize the records.