Identify type of section?

hi. is there a way to determine the kind of section i placed in my site when i go to edit it? i'm not talking about the official section id for coding, but maybe a label that says this is a "blog post grid pattern" or whatever i chose initially. i created my site a while ago and if i want to tweak some details, i find it hard to find where to go to find the appropriate settings. i think i used to be able to click on the thing i wanted to change and the appropriate format would pop up, but that doesn't seem to work any more. thanks. 

Default setting has no this, but I guess we can use code to add it. (not sure if it works or not)

But my ideal is

Edit each section > Add a Code Block > Use code like this

<div data-section-name="This is People Section"></div>

Then use some CSS/jQuery code, to make this text "This is People Section" appears on top left/top right or any position in the section.

What do you think, I can try creating a quick demo and let you know

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

On 2/27/2024 at 10:00 PM, theITgirl said:

i think i used to be able to click on the thing i wanted to change and the appropriate format would pop up, but that doesn't seem to work any more. thanks. 

All sections (and blocks) have an Edit button. 

1) Hover over a section, click Edit Section

2) For other style changes, see top right of edit > click Brush icon for Site Styles

image.png.7a5be22fcb0e6ee3acb3abc4d877fe28.png

What do you want to change that you can't find?

-------- > 👆 <---------- Please quote or @ me when replying, or I won't get a notification 

Melody | Squarespace Website Developer
e: melody@melodylee.tech

💻 💁‍♀️ 1-2-1 Squarespace Training session <- feeling stuck and want to learn?
👩‍💻 💁‍♀️ Website help <- send me your to-do list. From code to plugin to domain setup.
 Did I help? I like coffee (Thank you)
🧰 See the tools I use (contain affiliate links)

thanks. i wanted to change the weight of the font titles of my blog page but i had to change each blog title weight (blog one column, blog grid, blog side by side, etc.) until i found which blog configuration i had used. i finally got it, but it made me think how much easier it would have been if at the "edit section" area it told you what kind of section it was. some times there are so many setting options that the original choice isn't as obvious later. 

9 hours ago, theITgirl said:

thanks. i wanted to change the weight of the font titles of my blog page but i had to change each blog title weight (blog one column, blog grid, blog side by side, etc.) until i found which blog configuration i had used. 

To find the relevant settings easier, when in Sites Styles, you can click on the block and it'll bring up/jump to the relevant setting. 

E.g. open Site Styles, click fonts, then in your website, click on the blog title (it will have a thin blue outline to indicate where you are clicking). 

Otherwise, you can find the blog layout you used under one of the Edit settings. The same place where you can change the blog layout. 

Hope this helps. 

-------- > 👆 <---------- Please quote or @ me when replying, or I won't get a notification 

Melody | Squarespace Website Developer
e: melody@melodylee.tech

💻 💁‍♀️ 1-2-1 Squarespace Training session <- feeling stuck and want to learn?
👩‍💻 💁‍♀️ Website help <- send me your to-do list. From code to plugin to domain setup.
 Did I help? I like coffee (Thank you)
🧰 See the tools I use (contain affiliate links)