Editing in Markdown on Squarespace: Cursor Always Moves from editing spot

Go to solution Solved by Ziggy,

In Markdown, it drives me absolutely bonkers when I am editing just minor text or adding code.  When I paste the code or edit existing text in that code when I start typing the cursor goes to the stop of the markup dialog box.  I read hitting enter would cure this but this does not work.  Is there any way to edit this code using Fluid or do I need to just go over to classic when I’m making changes and if so how do I switch to classic when I've already created my page?  See attached.  In this instance, I needed text to wrap around a YouTube iframe (which is another story)  which is why I have code and text.  Now if you have any other suggestions about wrapping text around a youtube video that's easier I am all for it but the mouse cursor issue is my main concern.  Thanks.    

Cursor issue.png

Are you closing your <span> tags? I can see three opening but no closing, and coding errors can certainly cause problems.

Please like and upvote if my comments were helpful to you. Cheers!

Zygmunt Spray
Squarespace Website Designer
Contact me: 
https://squarefortytwo.com 
Hire me on Upwork!

🔌 Ghost Squarespace Plugins (Referral link)
📈 SEO Space (Referral link)
 SquareWebsites Plugins (Referral link)
 🔲 SQSP Themes (Referral link) 
Spark Plugin (Referral link) 

Did I help? Buy me a coffee?

Hi Ziggy, I did not close the span text, which I will do.  Can I just write out what I want in HTML and paste it into the markdown dialog box?  I'm assuming the markdown should be able to read it.  I will probably test it by the time you get a chance to read this and get back but just curious.   Thanks

• Solution

Yes, you can write it anywhere and copy/paste in to a markdown block.

Zygmunt Spray
Contact me: 
Hire me on Upwork!

I Ziggy.  I wanted to follow up with you on this.  I did close all the styles, and the cursor for whatever reason, still moves.   I then used an editor to copy and paste the code to hopefully eliminate my HTML writing errors.  The cursor still moved when I clicked in a spot, tried to add a word or sentence, and then it just moved to the first line of the markdown dialog box.  I also noticed something else.  I cannot see all of the text in the markdown dialog box.  When I put my cursor at the very bottom of the markdown dialog box and then try to hit the down arrow, it will not go beyond that even thought I have additional text.  I'm going to use markdown sparingly but will need it for basic adding text around an image.  I'm not sure what I am doing wrong or maybe this is just the way it is.  I keep edits in a separate place, so I may just have to make any minor edits in a separate editor and then just paste it back.  Thanks for following up, I totally appreciate it.  If you have any more suggestions, let me know.  You all know way more than I do, so I appreciate the knowledge transfer.  Have a great Thursday.

Can you try using a code block instead of a markdown?

Also I would suggest clearing your browser cache in case there is an error from that.

Zygmunt Spray
Contact me: 
Hire me on Upwork!

Hi Ziggy.  Code, unfortunately, does not make it easily readable like markdown, and I lose my ability to wrap text around an image.  No worries about this.  I can just use a simple markdown editor outside of Squarespace and copy it back in.  Please close this.  You all have better things to do than worry about this, and I appreciate your assistance.  Thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...