Curious to know more about Developer mode

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

I've been exploring the Developer mode and had some discussions about it. Before I delve into using it for both my personal projects and my client's websites, I have a few questions:

1. If I initiate the website design in Developer mode, will the client have the flexibility to later change the user interface if needed?
  2. Can I publish templates created in Developer mode for wider use?
  3. If I've designed part of a website using the Squarespace user interface, am I allowed to transition to Developer mode for custom code?

I'm eager to learn more about the intricacies of Squarespace's Developer mode and would appreciate insights or how-to guides from experienced developers familiar with it.

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, Bhavik said:

I'm eager to learn more about the intricacies of Squarespace's Developer mode and would appreciate insights

Hi @Bhavik Can you explain what you want to be able to do? You can add JavaScript, HTML and CSS to Squarespace sites without using Developer Mode.

Also, in case you aren't aware, Developer Mode is only available on the old version of Squarespace (version 7.0), where many of the newer features aren't available. Developer Mode isn't - and won't be - available on 7.1. 

7 minutes ago, Bhavik said:

Can I publish templates created in Developer mode for wider use?

You cannot duplicate sites if Developer Mode is enabled. 

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2023 at 7:54 PM, paul2009 said:

Hi @Bhavik Can you explain what you want to be able to do? You can add JavaScript, HTML and CSS to Squarespace sites without using Developer Mode.

Also, in case you aren't aware, Developer Mode is only available on the old version of Squarespace (version 7.0), where many of the newer features aren't available. Developer Mode isn't - and won't be - available on 7.1. 

You cannot duplicate sites if Developer Mode is enabled. 

Thanks for your insights @paul2009. I'm particularly interested in leveraging Developer Mode for its advanced customization capabilities. While I understand that JavaScript, HTML, and CSS can be added without Developer Mode, I'm looking to delve into more intricate and tailor-made solutions.

Your note about Developer Mode being exclusive to Squarespace 7.0 is crucial. I appreciate the heads-up regarding the limitations and the unavailability of newer features in that version.

If you have any further advice or recommendations on best practices when using Developer Mode, I'd love to hear more.

Thanks again,

On 12/20/2023 at 2:16 PM, Bhavik said:

1. If I initiate the website design in Developer mode, will the client have the flexibility to later change the user interface if needed?

Hi @Bhavik not sure what you mean by "later changing the user interface", but I wouldn't suggest it as a use case for building a website for clients. Depends on your clients, but most people won't be familiar with coding enough to use developer mode. And once developer mode is turned on, you can't turn it off without losing all custom code. 

Before deciding, you should read the SquareSpace docs thoroughly. You should be able to find all of your answers and much more from there. 

Tldr; wouldn't recommend unless you have a very specific use case and you've understood the consequences of turning developer mode on (and off). 

-------- > 👆 <---------- Please quote or @ me when replying, or I won't get a notification 

Melody | Squarespace Website Developer
e: melody@melodylee.tech

💻 💁‍♀️ 1-2-1 Squarespace Training session <- feeling stuck and want to learn?
👩‍💻 💁‍♀️ Website help <- send me your to-do list. From code to plugin to domain setup.
 Did I help? I like coffee (Thank you)
🧰 See the tools I use (contain affiliate links)

• Solution
2 hours ago, Bhavik said:

I'm looking to delve into more intricate and tailor-made solutions.

The best advice I can give is to document your requirements (or your client's requirements) and then decide how you can meet each one.

• Can they be met with built in features on version 7.1? Use 7.1.
  • Can they be met with custom code? Use Code Injection and Custom CSS.
  • Do they require access to the server/backend? Use a different platform (not Squarespace).
  • Can they only be met with Developer Mode (DM)? Use DM on the older v7.0 platform.

In summary, I would only recommend building a site on Squarespace 7.0 with DM in 2023/2024 if the requirements can only be met by using DM. Once you enable DM, the site's template will never be updated by Squarespace, so this can present many future maintenance challenges.

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

• 3 months later...
On 4/24/2024 at 6:31 PM, John_Isaacson said:

is there a solution for creating custom post types in existing 7.1 websites?

No. Custom post types can only be created in Developer Mode and, as I explained above, this is only available on the old version of Squarespace (version 7.0), where many of the newer features aren't available. Developer Mode isn't - and won't be - available on 7.1. 

Of course this doesn't stop you using a Blog post type for storing clinic locations but you won't be able to add custom fields 🙂.

Edited by paul2009