"block-yui" does not have its "fe-block" analog

Go to solution Solved by melody495,

Hello,

I've noticed that many blocks on my website start with "block-yui"; however, they often have their analogs represented as "fe-block."

For one specific "block-yui" block, I don't have an "fe-block" analog, which means I can't use that block in the CSS code—it doesn't work properly when I target the "block-yui" ID.

Is there any chance I can target the "fe-block" ID instead of the "block-yui" ID?

Example:

The analog for the block "block-yui_3_17_2_1_1696246643060_14857" is "#block-1b8f20a1de12b8a688ab"

No analog exists for the block "block-yui_3_17_2_1_1696246643060_14380"

Password: AAA!!!

I am trying to make the following CSS work: when I target the #block-yui, it does work properly, but if I target the #block-, it doesn't work as needed. This issue occurs in two similar cases when targeting the #block ID.

.fe-block-4f568e01d51dbe580861:hover ~ #block-yui_3_17_2_1_1696246643060_14380 {
    opacity: 1 !important;
}
#block-yui_3_17_2_1_1696246643060_14380 {
    opacity: 0 !important;
}

Any insights on this will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
Alex

Hi, you can install Square Space ID Finder, it gives you ID of each block. 

-------- > 👆 <---------- Please quote or @ me when replying, or I won't get a notification 

Melody | Squarespace Website Developer
e: melody@melodylee.tech

💻 💁‍♀️ 1-2-1 Squarespace Training session <- feeling stuck and want to learn?
👩‍💻 💁‍♀️ Website help <- send me your to-do list. From code to plugin to domain setup.
 Did I help? I like coffee (Thank you)
🧰 See the tools I use (contain affiliate links)

The fluid engine wrapper around blocks use dynamic IDs so you can't use them for targeting by ID.

You can target the FE wrapper via a class name. The class name is constructed from the block id.

So if you have block ID block-0158259a68ce51919d53 it's parent FE wrapper class name will be fe-block-0158259a68ce51919d53.

So to target the FE wrapper you'd do something like...

.fe-block-0158259a68ce51919d53 {

/* your declarations here */

}

Let us know how it goes.

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Thank you, creedon!

Your response is truly appreciated. The idea of targeting the FE wrapper via a class name is great, but the problem is that I couldn't figure out the specific FE block for #block-yui_3_17_2_1_1696246643060_14380.

I've tried using both the Squarespace ID Finder and inspecting every single block on the page in Inspect mode, but I still can't determine which block I should target instead of #block-yui_3_17_2_1_1696246643060_14380...

I am trying to target the block that is highlighted in red in the screenshot.

08.34.05.png

7 minutes ago, Alexsh said:

but the problem is that I couldn't figure out the specific FE block

I don't know if this will help but I view FE blocks as simply Classic Editor blocks with an FE wrapper around them.

If you find the block id with Squarespace ID Finder or other method then use the formula I describe in my previous post then you can target the FE block with CSS.

Some perspective. I don't recall ever having to target the FE wrapper around what is a block in CE. Of course that doesn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of CSS effects.

You mentioned a block and the FE wrapper not having the fe class name pattern I mentioned. As far as I can tell is does.

ScreenShot2023-11-02at12_59_09AM.thumb.png.8a09cc8927911d05f6e8e9bf7210dd0f.png

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Thank you, creedon!!!

I'm facing an issue where targeting the "yui" prefixed block doesn't activate the hover effect I want. To achieve this effect, it seems I need to target a block ID without the "yui" prefix, which I'm unable to locate.

For instance, consider the large black box with the text "Hijack your email address and represent themselves as you." The hover effect works there because I'm targeting the block ID ".fe-block-1b8f20a1de12b8a688ab."

However, if I try to target its corresponding "yui" ID, which is "yui_3_17_2_1_1696246643060_14857" for the same block, the hover effect fails.

This issue repeats with the first big black box containing "Read your emails and alter their content." Using the "yui" prefixed ID doesn't trigger the hover effect.

To sum up, targeting the block ID ".fe-block-yui_3_17_2_1_1696246643060_14380" does not initiate the hover effect — the text doesn't reveal when hovering over "DNS Hijacking," which is linked to the block ID ".fe-block-4f568e01d51dbe580861."

• Solution
2 hours ago, Alexsh said:

I'm facing an issue where targeting the "yui" prefixed block doesn't activate the hover effect I want. To achieve this effect, it seems I need to target a block ID without the "yui" prefix, which I'm unable to locate.

I don't think that is your issue, as you can see from the below screenshot. The bottom example hover works, but that "reveal" text block is also #block-yui_xxxxxx

image.thumb.png.55f0f60c264dd2148f6c67aa7271573f.png

I would double check the behaviour of the css selector ~ , as I am not familiar with that. But for the pairing that works, the reveal text block comes AFTER the black box. Whereas the reveal text block that is not working, it sits as the very first element in the list, after the hover block.

image.thumb.png.6ab72b7db706df037cb164f184000935.png

-------- > 👆 <---------- Please quote or @ me when replying, or I won't get a notification 

👩‍💻 💁‍♀️ Website help <- send me your to-do list. From code to plugin to domain setup.

7 minutes ago, Alexsh said:

It seems like there's no pure CSS solution for revealing the text in the blocks sitting before the hover blocks.

You are welcome! Just delete that block , and recreate it, then it would come after everything else, and your code would work as with the other pairing

Edit: copy and paste (duplicate), and delete original

Edited by melody495

Just a note that id attributes that start with yui are dynamic so you can't rely on them as they can change every page load.

Ids that are stable start with a prefix like block to let you know they are stable.

On 11/2/2023 at 4:03 PM, melody495 said:

You are welcome! Just delete that block , and recreate it, then it would come after everything else, and your code would work as with the other pairing

Edit: copy and paste (duplicate), and delete original

Hey melody495! Sorry, but I didn't get it. 

CSS works when the block containing the text that needs to be displayed is next to the block I hover over. However, if I change their order, the CSS no longer works — this confirms what you initially suggested about the "~" selector.

When you mentioned deleting and recreating it, what exactly did you mean? I tried that, but it didn't work. The reason is that the order of the blocks is important, not the sequence of their creation... Or did I perhaps misunderstand you?

1 minute ago, Alexsh said:

When you mentioned deleting and recreating it, what exactly did you mean? I tried that, but it didn't work. The reason is that the order of the blocks is important, not the sequence of their creation... Or did I perhaps misunderstand you?

Hi, I thought the order of creation matters, hence I said to create a new text block. But I think you just confirmed by testing that what matters is the ordering on the page, rather than creation.