Extra space in text blocks depending on window size

Hi all

I've always had this issue and I wonder if it's something I've done wrong or just a quirk of Squarespace.

Basically I go into edit my site, make all the text boxes the perfect size so they are as short as possible to fit the text inside. But then if I go onto my live site and change the size of my browser window, or look on a different device, huge gaps get added to the bottom of some of the text boxes. I'll put screenshots below...

What I design it to look like:

image.thumb.png.d7081ad4d34503c86e7f87544564892a.png

What it looks like if I make my browser window wider:

image.thumb.png.ae6dc524c5e1d73baf60655471419452.png

Could anyone help me as I feel this looks quite unprofessional! Huge thanks, Bridie

PS: this is my 'strategy sessions' webpage but it happens on every page I've ever made!

Can you share your website URL and this page?

If you're using the latest version of Squarespace, you probably need to adjust the height of the text boxes on a big screen, they will then adjust to be larger on smaller screens.

Please like and upvote if my comments were helpful to you. Cheers!

Zygmunt Spray
Squarespace Website Designer
Contact me: 
https://squarefortytwo.com 
Hire me on Upwork!

🔌 Ghost Squarespace Plugins (Referral link)
📈 SEO Space (Referral link)
 SquareWebsites Plugins (Referral link)
 🔲 SQSP Themes (Referral link) 
Spark Plugin (Referral link) 

Did I help? Buy me a coffee?

Does it matter the screen resolution / ratio of the size of window I choose to edit on? My pics are all 'fit' to block so if I design it on a different ratio than most people will look at it on then will that scupper the desired look?

7 minutes ago, Bridie said:

Does it matter the screen resolution / ratio of the size of window I choose to edit on? My pics are all 'fit' to block so if I design it on a different ratio than most people will look at it on then will that scupper the desired look?

Yes, the resolution and window size you edit on can have an impact on the layout, as can the font scaling you have set on your computer and browser. It's difficult to get the balance right, and all you can do is try and consider each page layout from different screen sizes and tweak each one to be as robust a design as you can make.

Please like and upvote if my comments were helpful to you. Cheers!

Zygmunt Spray
Squarespace Website Designer
Contact me: 
https://squarefortytwo.com 
Hire me on Upwork!

🔌 Ghost Squarespace Plugins (Referral link)
📈 SEO Space (Referral link)
 SquareWebsites Plugins (Referral link)
 🔲 SQSP Themes (Referral link) 
Spark Plugin (Referral link) 

Did I help? Buy me a coffee?

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

image.thumb.png.d724ac21204f7bf590550ea8cf19b461.pngAnd after a year this still does not work.  I fight this all the time.  there is clearly room for this text box to come up and yet it doesn't, which then throws off the next paragraph.  How do I send this to the developers or squarespace support because this is absolutely outrageous that paragarphs don't snap back  when rows are empty. 

On 4/21/2024 at 1:06 PM, MoeTalks said:

image.thumb.png.d724ac21204f7bf590550ea8cf19b461.pngAnd after a year this still does not work.  I fight this all the time.  there is clearly room for this text box to come up and yet it doesn't, which then throws off the next paragraph.  How do I send this to the developers or squarespace support because this is absolutely outrageous that paragarphs don't snap back  when rows are empty. 

If you ever find the solution/hear back from the developers on how to fix this can you please post here. I also find it extremely frustrating.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I'm posting this in a few places in hopes it might help someone:

I think I actually figured out a solution. I was having a TON of spacing issues on a website I was working on. When I'm in the Squarespace editor, it looks perfect, and then I publish and there's weird spacing issues everywhere after text. Went to the forums to try to figure out why, but was disheartened to see so many people having the same issues.

My browser has been forever Google Chrome, but on a whim, I decided to try to edit my website using Firefox. And you guys... it fixed my spacing issues. When I opened up the editor in Firefox, it even showed where there were the weird spacing issues (that wasn't there in the editor opened up in Chrome). I fixed it up, and I repeatedly checked the published version in Chrome. Somehow it was magically fixed.

Hopefully this helps people out there. Have no idea if this was just a solution for me, but I think it's a Squarespace + Chrome issue.  (Fix this, Squarespace!!!) If this solves it for anyone else, let me know.

Edited by itsasunnyday1