Questions about redirecting blog pages from another Squarespace website

Hi all, 

I have a very specific question about redirecting blog posts from one website to another. 

I recently started a new website (neuroscienceof.com), and a new blog, and I am looking to redirect some of the existing blog posts from my old website. It's my understanding that there are at least two ways to do this: 301 redirects, and injecting canonical tags. 

The situation is further complicated by the fact that, after posting the original blog post on my old website, I republished it months later on my blog on PsychologyToday. Given that I posted these on my old website first, Google correctly indexed them as the canonical post (and not Psychology Today). I want to make sure this holds true when these posts are transferred / redirected to my new website (neuroscienceof.com) as well. 

What would be the best way to go about this?

I would also be grateful if anyone would be willing to spare a few minutes over the phone to chat this over as well, for which I would be willing to pay a consulting fee (provided it's reasonable). 

Thank you!

All best, 
Matt

• Replies 2
  • Views 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi @NeuroScienceOf – I'd need to talk more about you're bigger picture goals about the two websites and which one becomes the long-term, authoritative domain for that content before making a recommendation about how to proceed.

One note: there isn't any easy way to add canonical tags to individual Squarespace blog posts. The canonical tag should go in the header, and there is not post-specific header code injection for SS blog posts.

I'd be happy to find time for a quick chat if you want. Here's a scheduling link.

- Ed

--

Blue Hills Digital
Support with website optimization, SEO and finding a digital marketing strategy that works.

Latest resource: Google Analytics 4 vs. Universal Analytics: Getting Started with GA4