Ecommerce Tracking using GTM

I am trying to set up ecommerce tracking using GTM.  I have injected the code in the header and footer (in the code injection area).  Do I need to add a dataLayer code as well in the confirmation page as well?  And will squarespace allow this code to fire on the confirmation page?  

I have read the best way to do it is input your Measurement ID key in the integration and squarespace should be passing the transaction info through to your Google Analytics property, but mine isn't showing any transaction in either UA or GA4 through this method.  

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 2
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi @JasonGee1,

How is the setup going? Do you have a goal in mind of what you'd like to track? 

I'm working with an e-commerce brand to set up a Pinterest tracking pixel through GTM, and it sounds like we're working on similar things! I haven't seen any recommendations as far as putting GTM on the confirmation page. In regards to my application, I didn't find the datalayer codes helpful.

• 1 year later...

Hi @JasonGee1 @CreativeTechProfessional

Squarespace nor Google makes GA4 tracking easy! 🤦🏾

I was struggling with this same problem, and recently figured out how to implement GA4 ecommerce tracking on my website.

Now I'm able to measure how many people view my products, select a item, add to cart, remove from cart, begin checkout, and make a purchase in GA4:

Analytics_Purchasejourney-ga4.thumb.png.a95632a908c6e3908040609fecb75487.png

ecommerce-purchase-journey-ga4-exploration-report.thumb.png.78d3d8d061ff61ce02cf64c5f0122b4a.png

To make it easier for other Squarespace users, I created a GitHub repo for folks to simply copy and paste the code into their own Google Tag Manager containers: https://www.tayloreddata.com/blog/how-to-track-ga4-ecommerce-events-on-your-squarespace-website. But since this is custom code, please test and ensure it works for your website.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Edited by TayloredData

Data Nerd 🧑🏾‍💻|  I help businesses transform data into actionable insights & sales | Chat with me about your website + marketing analytics challenges: TayloredData.com

Prefer video tutorials? Check out my latest marketing and web analytics how to videos