Problems with phone landscape layout in Fluid Engine

Site URL: https://mandolin-trumpet-8ajp.squarespace.com/history

On many of the pages I'm working on, I've set the Fluid Engine layout for the desktop and mobile views. But when I view those pages on a phone in landscape view, there are huge spaces between blocks. It looks terrible, and there doesn't seem to be any way to fix it. The same is true when I resize my browser window to a narrow width (but not narrow enough to mimic a phone screen). This seems to be a bug in the Fluid Engine. Either there should be an editor mode for these intermediate screen sizes (between desktop and phone) or the layout should follow the mobile layout without the extra spaces.

Edited by cdavidson
typo

I have noticed that too— overlords best send an official ambulance to address this STAT!! Tbh it's all just even more evidence that a tablet breakpoint will be CRUCIAL to making this new engine a legit success instead of just a fleeting novelty... preferably implemented in a way that uses the desktop layout by default tho (just with a new "add breakpoint" button between the mobile/desktop toggles) to allow optional customization, so as to not fully triple design time on simpler pages lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ siiiiigh.

The age of standard screen sizes has been over for an embarrassingly long time. So far FE is dazzlingly cool, but imho it simply isn't remotely sustainable (or even stable) enough to become the new client standard yet. 

• 10 months later...

I honestly can't believe this hasn't been fixed yet. I have paid Squarespace hundreds of dollars and spent months creating a site in fluid engine with good consistent spacing in both desktop and in mobile view using the mobile editor. But when I view the site in mobile and turn my phone to landscape orientation (as many people may do when looking at my site), the spacing adds large gaps above some section headings and not above others. It looks amateurish and unintentional.

The comments above were from last July! I'm about to make my site viewable to the public and when I reached customer service about this, they said they had no update or eta on a fix to this "larger issue" and they would add my complaint to the report. How about offering me all of my money and time back instead! Unbelievable.

Edited by JFox
  • 2 months later...

Okay, wtf? I am transferring my old Squarespace site to 7.1, at my own cost because I can't transfer it as we know. And I have almost completed the rebuild, only to realize that the components are not "fluid" at all in fact they are ending up in the wrong places as my page resizes. This is ridiculous. This does not work.