Go to a random page from a list of 100

Site URL: https://watermelon-eagle-9jge.squarespace.com/config/pages

I am trying to code a button on the header of each page of my SquareSpace site. When clicked the idea is to send the viewer to any one of 100 pages on the site randomly. The reason for this is because the project for the UK's Medical Research Council consists of 100 contributors commenting on the theme 'A Picture of Health'. Rather than provide 100 separate links I'd like the viewer to discover the pages randomly. Rather like flipping the pages of a picture book. So the code would generate a random number from 1 to 100 then concatenate the number with text and send the viewer to a SquareSpace page. For example the user may go to 'page_001.html' or 'page_100.html' or any page within this range. I'm familiar with coding although by no means an expert. Does anyone have any suggestions?

4 hours ago, piranesi said:

Site URL: https://watermelon-eagle-9jge.squarespace.com/config/pages

I am trying to code a button on the header of each page of my SquareSpace site. When clicked the idea is to send the viewer to any one of 100 pages on the site randomly. The reason for this is because the project for the UK's Medical Research Council consists of 100 contributors commenting on the theme 'A Picture of Health'. Rather than provide 100 separate links I'd like the viewer to discover the pages randomly. Rather like flipping the pages of a picture book. So the code would generate a random number from 1 to 100 then concatenate the number with text and send the viewer to a SquareSpace page. For example the user may go to 'page_001.html' or 'page_100.html' or any page within this range. I'm familiar with coding although by no means an expert. Does anyone have any suggestions?

You should enable site wide password so we can have a look

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

Thanks for your observation bangank36. The 100 pages containing contributors images on the theme 'A Picture of Health' are not yet in place. I am presently required to produce just a prototype with 5 pages only. (One landing page and 4 contributor's image pages). I intend to put the random link in the video you see at the top of my test page.

Password. it is now magic

The site is not yet published and is presently a free 14 day trial which has another 5 days to run.

Here is a shot at a solution. Create a page, add a button block. Get the block id of the button block. For urlPrefix set it to '/page_'.

Add the following to Page Settings > Advanced > Page Header Code Injection for the page.

<script>

$( ( ) => {

/*

begin change button url to random page

Version       : 0.1d0

SS Version    : 7.1

Dependancies  : jQuery

By            : Thomas Creedon < http://www.tomsWeb.consulting/ >

*/

// enter button block id without the #

const buttonBlockId = '[enter button block id without the # here between single quotes]';

const urlPrefix = '[enter url prefix here between single quotes]';

// do not change anything below, there be the borg here

let r = Math.floor ( Math.random ( ) * 100 );

r = String ( r ).padStart ( 3, '0' );

const url = urlPrefix + r;

$( '#' + buttonBlockId + ' a' ).attr ( 'href', url );

} );

/* end change button url to random page */

</script>

Let us know how it goes.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, PriscillaMcGreer said:

How do you get the block ID of a button?

Check out Heather Tovey's most excellent looking Squarespace ID Finder.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

The URL prefix is whatever you want it to be. For example your pages could be something like...

/page_001

/page_002

/page_003

/page_004

...so the prefix is /page_

If your pages don't follow this kind of pattern then you'd need different code. Or, you could map the /page_nnn pages to other URLs via SS's URL Mapping feature.

• 4 months later...
On 2/4/2023 at 10:59 PM, creedon said:

The URL prefix is whatever you want it to be. For example your pages could be something like...

/page_001

/page_002

/page_003

/page_004

...so the prefix is /page_

If your pages don't follow this kind of pattern then you'd need different code. Or, you could map the /page_nnn pages to other URLs via SS's URL Mapping feature.

@creedon Would you be able to help with code for where each post has a specific url slug? We're not using numbers; we use words. I have the list of them all, but I don't know how to adapt the code for it 🙂

Edited by diavaldiablo
tagged user
On 6/7/2023 at 3:27 AM, diavaldiablo said:

I have the list of them all

Are your URLs going to be something like the following?

/first

/second

/third

Edited by creedon

On 6/7/2023 at 3:27 AM, diavaldiablo said:

Would you be able to help with code for where each post has a specific url slug?

This requires the business plan or above.

Add the following to Settings > Developer Tools > Code Injection > HEADER.

<script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/3.7.0/jquery.min.js"></script>

Add element url string random.html to Settings > Advanced > Page Header Code Injection for the page. Please see per-page code injection.

Alternately if you want a site-wide effect add the code to Settings > Developer Tools > Code Injection > FOOTER.

Let us know how it goes.

Edited by creedon

39 minutes ago, creedon said:

Add the following to Settings > Advanced > Code Injection > HEADER.

<script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/3.7.0/jquery.min.js"></script>

Add the following to Settings > Advanced > Page Header Code Injection for the page. Please see per-page code injection.

<script>

$( ( ) => {

/*

begin button url string random

Version       : 0.1.0

Dependencies  : jQuery

*/

let buttonBlockId = '[enter button block id here between single quotes replacing square brackets]';

const urlPrefix = '[enter url prefix here between single quotes replacing square brackets]';

const strings = [

/*

following is an example string line. copy the example string line below
        and paste after the example string line. remove the double forward
        slash from before the example string line. repeat for as many strings
        you want to randomly choose from. this has been done once initially

*/

// 'an example string',

'[enter string here between single quotes replacing square brackets]',

];

const i = Math.floor ( Math.random ( ) * strings.length );

const selector = `#${ buttonBlockId } a`;

const string = strings [ i ];

const url = urlPrefix + string;

$( selector )

.attr ( 'href', url );

// end button url string random

} );

</script>

Let us know how it goes.

AMAZING. Thank you so much! I've been trying to do this for two years!

1 hour ago, creedon said:

Add the following to Settings > Advanced > Code Injection > HEADER.

Add the following to Settings > Advanced > Page Header Code Injection for the page. Please see per-page code injection.

<script>

$( ( ) => {

/*

begin button url string random

Version       : 0.1.0

Dependencies  : jQuery

*/

let buttonBlockId = '[enter button block id here between single quotes replacing square brackets]';

const urlPrefix = '[enter url prefix here between single quotes replacing square brackets]';

const strings = [

/*

following is an example string line. copy the example string line below
        and paste after the example string line. remove the double forward
        slash from before the example string line. repeat for as many strings
        you want to randomly choose from. this has been done once initially

*/

// 'an example string',

'[enter string here between single quotes replacing square brackets]',

];

const i = Math.floor ( Math.random ( ) * strings.length );

const selector = `#${ buttonBlockId } a`;

const string = strings [ i ];

const url = urlPrefix + string;

$( selector )

.attr ( 'href', url );

// end button url string random

} );

</script>

Let us know how it goes.

What would I need to replace the button block ID with to add this to the Header button, too?

On 6/9/2023 at 1:50 PM, diavaldiablo said:

What would I need to replace the button block ID with to add this to the Header button, too?

I've updated my cited code to make it more general. You now have to supply the full selector to the element you want update the URL (href).

If you want to change multiple elements you could duplicate the code and change the settings in the second piece of code.

Let us know how it goes.

Edited by creedon

• 7 months later...
On 6/27/2021 at 3:51 PM, creedon said:

Here is a shot at a solution. Create a page, add a button block. Get the block id of the button block. For urlPrefix set it to '/page_'.

Add the following to Page Settings > Advanced > Page Header Code Injection for the page.

<script>

$( ( ) => {

/*

begin change button url to random page

Version       : 0.1d0

Dependancies  : jQuery

*/

const buttonBlockId = '[enter button block id without the # here between single quotes]';

const urlPrefix = '[enter url prefix here between single quotes]';

let r = Math.floor ( Math.random ( ) * 100 );

r = String ( r ).padStart ( 3, '0' );

const url = urlPrefix + r;

$( '#' + buttonBlockId + ' a' ).attr ( 'href', url );

} );

/* end change button url to random page */

</script>

Let us know how it goes.

When I use this code, the button just links to what I replace the '/page_' with in the button settings... doesn't seem to be reacting to the code in advanced settings at all.

1 hour ago, spspsp said:

When I use this code, the button just links to what I replace the '/page_' with in the button settings... doesn't seem to be reacting to the code in advanced settings at all.

Please post the URL for a page on your site where we can see your issue.

A link to the backend of the your site won’t work for us, i.e. a url that contains /config/.

Please set up a site-wide password, if your site is not public and you've not already done so.

Post the password here.

Adding a site-wide password does not allow anyone to alter your site. It only allows those with the password to see your site.

Please read the site-wide password and how to share a link documentation to understand how they work.

We can then take a look at your issue.

You may find How to post a forum question post useful.